Hey Flute Players,

I want to get my first Irish flute and I need some guidance as to where and what type of Irish flute I should get.  I've played tin whistle for about 2 years and classical flute for 7 years --so I think I'm kind of familiar with how to play those. 

I was thinking of getting a delrin plastic flute. 

Any thoughts?

Views: 8805

Replies to This Discussion

I think the crux of the biscuit is just that - natural materials feel, smell and look better than synthetics, therefore you/the brain automatically assume it's better :)

Biscuits with crux in them? mmm... sounds like a tasty, crunchy recipe.

My mate, when we were boys, once bought a lump of fake, synthetic dog poo to leave on the living room carpet. It looked very realistic but it certainly smelled better than the "natural material"..

Sorry, my ability to make sense seems to have deserted me. Time to take my tablets, I think. Maybe increase the dose a bit :-)

Obviously it's mostly conjecture to respond about the inferiority of an instrument when the person offering their opinion has little to no experience with the instrument (or in this case limited experience playing flutes made of Delrin). I cannot say I've yet found a Delrin flute which responds as well some of the better wooden flutes I have played. But I don't see how that equates with serious players rejecting the idea that someone starting out on flute should avoid Delrin flutes altogether.

I play a Forbes which, no, it doesn't compare w/one of Hammy Hamilton's wooden flutes which I also play; but I don't consider the difference between the two any reason to not play the Delrin. If anything I appreciate discovering what I can do with the Forbes. So far I've always been able to get  a little bit more than I thought possible (w/Rob Forbes flute) & will continue playing his flute as long as it continues to respond as well as it does.

I too have a Forbes Delrin keyless flute.  It booms out the low D wonderfully, and I really like playing it.   I also have a Delrin 6-keyed Seery flute, and it responds very differently to the Forbes, having a beautiful sweet tone.  Both are lovely flutes.  I have tried some wood flutes out that seem nice enough, but not any better than what I have at present, although I'm aware that to really know a flute, you need more than a quick tryout.

Michael Cronnelly tunable is not a bad starter flute IMO . Volume and tone yield excellent encouraging results also it being tunable and virtually maintenance free is another bonus

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Groups

Music

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Tony Lawless.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service