I would like to hear some opinions on block mounted keys v post mounted keys on Irish flutes . Thanks Gordon.

Views: 421

Replies to This Discussion

From my somewhat limited experience, I think pin-mounted keys give you more room

for your fingers.   I use a pipers grip on my right hand, and the pin mounted

keys seem to get in the way less.    (I dont have a keyed flute, but may get PM keys

fitted sometime soon)

Ian

Thanks Ian I appreciate your input thats something I would not have thought of . and something to compare when I try some keyed flutes . Thanks Gordon.

I play a Copley 4 key (block mounted) and I'm happy with it.  I find the f key block actually helps my L3 land on the hole.  I can't imagine an advantage to post mounted keys unless one might use them enough to require frequent lubrication.  In that case I'd just have a concert flute fitted with a wood head joint.  Then your flute would be just half trad.  If the look and feel of the instrument compels you to play it, then that's the one you want.  If you play sessions the block mounted keys will be less fragile while laying on a crowded pub table.

Hi, new to the forum, but not new to playing the flute.  I play a Burns 6 keyed, post mounted flute, and I'm most pleased with it.  My opinion is that the post mounted keys get in the way less, at least for me.  I don't find that the post mountings are in any way fragile.  However, I've seen antique block mounted flutes where the block mount has been broken off in some way and retro fitted in some fashion, on one occassion I saw a FHP flute with a brass mounting in place of the original wood block mount.  I'm confident that the brass mounting played just as well, I just didn't care for the look of it.  Thus, FWIW, I would vote for post mounted, if a vote were being taken.  If it is possible, I would suggest playing both post and block mounted flutes and see which one feels best for you.  BTW, if something were to  go wrong with the post mounting, it can be replaced quiet easily by a competent repair person.  Good luck in your decision!!

Personally i prefer the aesthetic of block mounted on antique or reproduction flutes, but the post mounted are considered generally more stable and reliable, easier to maintain.  other than the G# and F nat ,  i rarely have use for the other keys and therefore am happy with the block mounts since there is low use and not too much maintenance needed.

I agree with Russ. Block mounted looks better and more 'traditional' but post mounted are, at least as good if not better..

I just bought a flute with 6 post-mounted keys.  They certainly keep out of the way, until needed, when they happen to be exactly where my fingers 'look' for them.  And they look beautifully elegant.  Once upon a time I was an oboe player, so I suppose the post-mounted keys seem natural to me.

RSS

© 2017   Created by Tony Lawless.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service