Does anyone have any experience with tenor banjos made by JP Banjos in Liverpool, England?
The workmanship looks great.   These are custom made, open back  instruments.

http://www.jpbanjos.co.uk/

Have not heard one of these yet.  Jim Patton is treasurer for the Liverpool branch of Comhaltus Ceoltoiri Eireann.  So, he’s plugged into the music and has a good ear for the right sound.

Very close to buying one and would like any advice anyone may wish to share.

THANKS!

Views: 513

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, I believe Stevie Dunne has one of jim's banjo s, it may be worth asking him for his opinion. I must admit I really like the idea of the Weymann rim with modern construction. I think it could be a winner.

Thanks Alan,

Jim Patton of JP Banjos has two banjos in stock.  The instruments are 19 frets but the finger board is an inch shorter than the standard length of a tenor banjo scale.  Should make fingering a bit easier, but will likely reduce sustain and volume a small amount.  Jim will photograph the instruments and send them to me this weekend.  I've asked him for a sound file and he has agreed to do that.  Jim Patton is a retired marine engineer.  He has brought an engineering perspective to the design of the banjo.  That's how he arrived as this modern approach to rim and tone ring construction.  I'm really keen to hear the results and rather eager to give one of these instruments a go.

Alan Hopkins said:

Hi, I believe Stevie Dunne has one of jim's banjo s, it may be worth asking him for his opinion. I must admit I really like the idea of the Weymann rim with modern construction. I think it could be a winner.

Hi, I just spotted stevie's testimonial on Jims site, sort of makes my comment a bit pointless! duh!  It seems to me that all good luthiers have an engineering background which does make a lot of sense. I'd love to hear the sound clip.  cheers
 
Bill Troxler said:

Thanks Alan,

Jim Patton of JP Banjos has two banjos in stock.  The instruments are 19 frets but the finger board is an inch shorter than the standard length of a tenor banjo scale.  Should make fingering a bit easier, but will likely reduce sustain and volume a small amount.  Jim will photograph the instruments and send them to me this weekend.  I've asked him for a sound file and he has agreed to do that.  Jim Patton is a retired marine engineer.  He has brought an engineering perspective to the design of the banjo.  That's how he arrived as this modern approach to rim and tone ring construction.  I'm really keen to hear the results and rather eager to give one of these instruments a go.

Alan Hopkins said:

Hi, I believe Stevie Dunne has one of jim's banjo s, it may be worth asking him for his opinion. I must admit I really like the idea of the Weymann rim with modern construction. I think it could be a winner.

When sound clips arrive, I'll post.



Alan Hopkins said:

Hi, I just spotted stevie's testimonial on Jims site, sort of makes my comment a bit pointless! duh!  It seems to me that all good luthiers have an engineering background which does make a lot of sense. I'd love to hear the sound clip.  cheers
 
Bill Troxler said:

Thanks Alan,

Jim Patton of JP Banjos has two banjos in stock.  The instruments are 19 frets but the finger board is an inch shorter than the standard length of a tenor banjo scale.  Should make fingering a bit easier, but will likely reduce sustain and volume a small amount.  Jim will photograph the instruments and send them to me this weekend.  I've asked him for a sound file and he has agreed to do that.  Jim Patton is a retired marine engineer.  He has brought an engineering perspective to the design of the banjo.  That's how he arrived as this modern approach to rim and tone ring construction.  I'm really keen to hear the results and rather eager to give one of these instruments a go.

Alan Hopkins said:

Hi, I believe Stevie Dunne has one of jim's banjo s, it may be worth asking him for his opinion. I must admit I really like the idea of the Weymann rim with modern construction. I think it could be a winner.

RSS

© 2017   Created by Tony Lawless.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service