The BBC has a half hour show on the production of the first LP made of traditional Irish music.  These field recordings were captured by Allan Lomax and Seamus Ennis between 1947 and 1951.

At great show with many traditional voices.  Give a listen at this link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01h666r/The_First_LP_in_Ireland/

Bill

Views: 308

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I enjoyed that; thanks!

Hi Bill,

For a quick glance at the discussion group I thought you were asking, "What was your first LP of ITM?" Back in 2007, my wife and I made our first visit to Ireland. While there, I wanted to purchase some trad music,....but something that would give me the essence of "old time" and "seisun". I bought "Fleadh Cheili - Celebration of Ceili" (a compilation of Ceili band music: Blarney Ceili Band, Sean Dunphy Ceili Band, Brendan Mulhaire Ceili Band, Ballinamore Ceili Band, St. Peter's Ceili Band) and "Na Connerys - The Session" (a compilation of "all that is best in Irish traditional music"). Since then, I have purchased other ITM CDs but these two have a special place in my heart,....and I still enjoy listening to them often.

However, now seeing your link posting, I'm anxious to check this out. Thank you, sir!!!! Cheers,

Danny

Hi Danny,

I think you'll really enjoy this.  IF you can get your hands on the BBC series "The History of Scottish Music" hosted by Phil Cunningham you'll REALLY be thrilled.  Its about six hours long and presents an amazing sweep of Scottish and Irish traditional music.  Cunningham is a master musician and the perfect host.  Unfortunately the series  has not yet been aired in North America.  Even the segments on BBC's website are blocked to North American viewers.  I got a copy from a Scottish friend.  I've used it in the classes I teach on traditional music.  It's always a hit.    If you are in Ireland or the UK it should be easy to find.

Bill

Hey Bill,

Started to listen to the show,...but I'm doing bills/budget now so I'll come back to it later when I'm done (meaning: before the wife gets home). It's a shame that your second suggestion, "The History of Scottish Music" is blocked by the BBC to us here in N.A. You're lucky to have a Scotsman friend to have a copy. Maybe at some point I'll be able to check it out. Thanks. Cheers,

Danny

P.S.: Love Chincateague!!! Beautiful area,.....and the marsh pony roundup is always a thrill. Well,...Hi-Ho-Hi Ho,.... back to work!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

Groups

© 2021   Created by Tradconnect Reviews.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The title of your home page You could put your verification ID in a comment Or, in its own meta tag Or, as one of your keywords Your content is here. The verification ID will NOT be detected if you put it here. .slick-track { display: flex!important; justify-content: center; align-items: center;/* Safari */ display: -webkit-flex!important; -webkit-justify-content:center; -webkit-align-items: center; }