Hi,

did a search for bouzouki & was supprised when nothing came up so thought i'd start it off.

If there are any bouzouki or GDAD octave mandolin players out there it would be great to start a thread.

Brian

Plays Oakwood Bouzouki 

Views: 4706

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Lawrie,

Sorry,....I am guilty of what I constantly tell my students that they should do,....but don't: "READ what you're looking at!!! Don't just skim over the words!!!" I did look through the groups section, but, alas, I skimmed over the CBOM listing ("What the heck is CBOM????") If I did READ it, I would have joined immediately. Hopefully, it won't be a competitive thing with the two groups. That said,....I will also join your group,......if you join mine ; ) !!!! Smile,....the world needs your sunshine!!! And so, fellow GDAD musicians find a link in their lives.

Danny

Hi Mats,

At the risk of being thought of as an "Obnoxious American", the website is not in English (????)!!!! The instruments LOOK beautiful. I'll have to trust your word that they are "quality". As I said before, I have to wait for when I can afford a new Bouzouki (my wife will make me sleep in the shed if I said I wanted to buy another Bouzouki!!!). Ahhh, the married life,.....it only gets better with age!!! Thanks again for the link.

Danny

Cheers Phil. Link was incorrectly done. You can also just press the Group tab which should bring you straight to the groups. Groups

Hi Brian.

I'be a Joe Foley,  tune it  GDad for Trad and GDAE for  Americana,  been on the back burner of late as I've been messing around on the mandolin and saw mill banjo,

CBOM is  Cittern, Bouzouki & Octave Mandola.. AKA  mandolins on steroids

Hi everyone! So pleased to see this thread has taken a life of its own. Great idea to have a proper group for the zouk players. I'm off to join!

Hi Brian, I play a Foley, GDAD. Great instrumenet!

Hi Ketil, very jealous!! I think Foley makes exceptional instruments although my love affair with my Oakwood shows no sign of slowing down! Have you joined the bouzouki group on the site yet? Some great contributions from other members & well worth a read.
Did you get your Foley made for you & if so what was the waiting time? Really tempted but have to weigh it up against marital harmony!

I got my bouzouki while on holidays in 1991. I rang up Joe and asked if by any chance he had a bouzouki for sale. He had two! Just went out to Rathfarnham and got a very nice instrument for 550 punt. These days there´s a waitinglist for about a year.

And yes, I just joined the bouzouki group!

Hi Brian (and everybody else), I play a GDADA Cittern. I concentrate more on tunes rather than accompaniment.                                   

I played Bouzouki for a few years in GDAD until I realised that If I wanted to continue tunes with this tuning, I thought to make it easier for myself, I would have to get a Cittern and tune it GDADA, the extra A makes tunes considerably easier, bringing my hand back down into first position for most tunes.   Of course GDAE, has a similar effect for ease of tuneplaying but It's just not so open when it comes to the occasional chord. 

I tune my banjo GDAD also,  after a long while playing this way, I'm considering reverting to GDAE for a while, my banjo has a very long scale. I love the sound of sliding up to the higher notes of tunes on GDAD but it's a lot of work and I'm lazy.

Andy

Hi All, I have a Lawrence Nyberg Octave mando which my band mates always refer to as a bouzouki which distinguishes it from another bandmates cittern and my regular mandolin.  I tune it is standard tuning GDAe

and us it mainly for melody although occasionally for counterpoint type backup.

I should really experiment with alternate tunings, but I never really gave them a serious try on the guitar or fiddle either.

With so many instruments (I have a tenor banjo too) it's enough to learn tunes and parts for the groups I play in in standard tuning.

I do like playing swing chords behind tunes or getting a funky bassline and old R& B groove going as backup. Since I play a lot for dancers this makes them move in very different ways and just gives the tunes a new twist.

Tunefully

Paul

Hi
Just discovered this great site tonight
I have a Thomas Buchanan {Scottish} mandola tuned GDAD which I use for tunes only ~ using the 4th & 7th positions for the higher notes {which works most of the time!}
I use an old Gibson Blue Ridge guitar {c. 1969} tuned DADGBD {double drop D} for accompaniment
Richie

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Groups

© 2020   Created by Tradconnect Reviews.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The title of your home page You could put your verification ID in a comment Or, in its own meta tag Or, as one of your keywords Your content is here. The verification ID will NOT be detected if you put it here. .slick-track { display: flex!important; justify-content: center; align-items: center;/* Safari */ display: -webkit-flex!important; -webkit-justify-content:center; -webkit-align-items: center; }