On September 16th, I had the privilege of playing in a retirement home nearby. I played all alone for an hour on the harmonica. Most of the performance was played in D/G. I played mostly Irish folklore, some Scottish airs and sing along songs from a book I made for the facility when it opened up two years ago. When the performance started, I played some fast music such as "The cock of the North". Irish washer woman, Maple sugar reel. The Irish Rover, Crooked Stovepipes, Scottish the brave, Road to the Isle.  In fact, fast songs with lots of rhythm. When I first started playing, there were 5 peoples in attendance. At the end of the last song, the room was full as the harmonica could be heard throughout the facility. While I played, I could notice people's feet going to the rhythm of the music, a good indication that the music is well perceived by the listeners.When I felt that the audience was participating well in the performance, I started with the sing along. The first song was "Good night Irene, followed by It's a long way to Tipperary" My Bonnie lies over the ocean". You are my Sunshine"  Lily Marlene". These last songs were mixed with such songs as "Red is the rose, My wild Irish rose, O Danny boy, The water is wide, The last song for the performance was "Smile awhile". The audience participated fully to this program and this made life much easier for me. When I got there, the recreation staff had already prepared the room and supervised the residents during the performance. This was a great help. They even had a small table besides my chair where a jug of water and Styrofoam glasses were placed. Something I like because as you know, the air in such a facility can be very dry. These performance usually start at 2 o'clock and end at 3. I shared the good time with the resident who thanked me and asked me to come back again. I thought I would  share this experience with you.Overall, this was a fun afternoon I wish every harmonica player could enjoy. Yours truly "Harmonica Norm"  as called by the residents and staff. It is to be noted that I do this in various retirement home throughout the week to a point that it is almost a part time job. However, being a volunteer, the only reward I accept from this is sharing the pleasure of the residents. Best of the day to you all my friends and it sure would be a pleasure to hear from you, you experiences... Norm

Views: 200

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for sharing this Norm.  Looks like you are getting something out of it as well as the residents.  Its not easy getting up and out and doing this good work so well done.  

I totally missed this story. I hope to do this myself one day, nothing better than spreading the joy through music

Indeed Tony, Some claim that music is the ultimate remedy of the Soul. I'm sure the old "Irish " Gentleman who lived on the third floor above me in Montreal would say the same. When he had a gout attack, he would call my mom and say:" Cecile, might you find it in your heart to send the lad over so he can fetch me medication?" This is when he would send me to the liquor store to get him a forty of Jack Daniel. This is where his rodeo would start. It would take him to hell and back.He woul;d be singing about dear Ireland until he felt better.  Just tought I would share this with you. Best of the day to you  Tony

Tony Lawless said:

Thanks for sharing this Norm.  Looks like you are getting something out of it as well as the residents.  Its not easy getting up and out and doing this good work so well done.  

Hi again Boyen, When I retired from sailing, I had this vague idea in mind. After all, retiring doesn't mean dying, does it? I asked myself, beside drinking and playing harmonica, what do you like to do? I decided to stop drinking and to continue  playing  harmonica in  old age or retirement homes. It is a real pleasure and when the people get to know you, they share very interesting experiences with you. They are genuine as they lived these experiences. I could share quite a few stories I heard, some so Hilarious that it would bring tears to your eyes, some so sad that thinking about them could be deemed nightmares. The music, specially coming from a harmonica is very well  received by them. The harmonica being a high frequency instrument can be heard very clearly by even the ones that are hearing impaired. They love the tunes and Irish music is like magic for them. They take to it very fast.Well, here I go again, getting carried away. It sure was a pleasure to hear from both you and Tony. Best of the day to you both. Strange, since I stopped drinking, I haven't seen any "Leprechauns".  loll

Boyen said:

I totally missed this story. I hope to do this myself one day, nothing better than spreading the joy through music

RSS

© 2020   Created by Tradconnect Reviews.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The title of your home page You could put your verification ID in a comment Or, in its own meta tag Or, as one of your keywords Your content is here. The verification ID will NOT be detected if you put it here. .slick-track { display: flex!important; justify-content: center; align-items: center;/* Safari */ display: -webkit-flex!important; -webkit-justify-content:center; -webkit-align-items: center; }