Hi,

Do you come from a long line of musicians & if so, would you care to give us an idea of where your musical genes came from?

I'm just back from a trip home to Scotland & while there, I visited the grave of my Great Grandfather, William Glasgow, to get a photo of myself with his old Fiddle, beside his grave stone. 

Photo #1 below

Sadly he died 2 years before I was born, so I never actually met him, but I'll be eternally grateful to him, for passing on his love of the music to me.

His son, my Grandad, was also a Fiddler & a fine player of the Great Highland Basgpipe and although the Music skipped a generation, with my Dad being tone deaf, I'm very, very glad it popped up again in me.

Here is William, back around 1900. He worked on the land all his life, hiring himself out to many farmers over the years, so my Fiddle would have entertained at many Bothy firesides, around Tranent.

Photo #2 below

Fortunately, I've managed to pass the music on to the next generation, for as well as trying to inspire probably a few thousand young musicians around here by now, during the past 18 years, I'm delighted to say that my son Kevin is also a full time musician, although Jazz  not Trad., is his bag.

Photo #3 below

I look forward to reading your story.

Cheers,

Dick 

Views: 122

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dunno, my mother who passed away when I was young, was handy enough on the piano as far as I know. Can't think of anyone else from that side of the family who was/is particularly musical. On my father's side, my grandfather was a good singer - he sang semi professionally in stage shows. Here he is on his horse in 1914-18 war.

Attachments:

Ah Ha .... a real War Horse!

Yep and his trade in the army was that of a 'saddler', someone who maintained the tack for the horses - he was in the Royal Horse Artillery, when they used horses to pull those big guns around. I recall him also telling me that he had a good sideline going in converting army boots into soccer boots! These would be used when the lads were being rested away from the fronts. He was from a cobbling background.

Are you interested in people who don't have that lineage as well, Dick? 

Absolutely Ben, after all, everyone has a story!

Cheers,

Dick

Ah, I wouldn't give up entirely on them yet, Ben! If they're anything like I was and maybe you as well, I wanted to kinda move away from family things when I was in my twenties. But later I moved back in that direction, I suppose when we had children ourselves. So don't be surprised if there's a musical reawakening at some stage :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Tradconnect Reviews.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The title of your home page You could put your verification ID in a comment Or, in its own meta tag Or, as one of your keywords Your content is here. The verification ID will NOT be detected if you put it here. .slick-track { display: flex!important; justify-content: center; align-items: center;/* Safari */ display: -webkit-flex!important; -webkit-justify-content:center; -webkit-align-items: center; }