I was just wondering if anyone else named their instrument(s), or if it was just something I did.

I have a few different instruments and I have a name for all of them. I even named my sister's boyfriend's guitar. I give them names based on what they look like, eg. I called my harp Claire simply because it looks like a Claire. I called the guitar Charlotte for the same reason.

I think that giving them names adds to the relationship with the instrument. They get to be more animated and you start to feel like they really belong to you.

I don't know if this is a legitimate thing, or if I'm just a bit odd, but that's my opinion on the matter. I just thought I would put it out there and see what the general consensus is.

Views: 232

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here too...guitar is Max, Plectrum Banjo is Li'l Abner, Converted Kay 6 string to Tenor is Kay, my fiddle baby Mary, Mandolin is Oscar...Haven't found names for my pics yet, but then again that might be too much (tongue in cheek).

Never used to, but I recently bought a Vega Little Wonder tenor  banjo, from 1924 which came in a beaten up old case with some shipping labels stuck on, on said "Sister Mary Carmen" and an address in a convent in Honolulu. The banjo is now Sister Mary, to distinguish her from Clifford, my Paragon banjo. I also have "Declan" a  banjo uke made by Phil Cartwright in Gloucestershire; "Jedward" a Jedson banjo uke, and Mabel, a Slingerland banjo uke.

My whistles and flutes are nameless.

A few pix!!

Attachments:

My fiddles are named after the people I got them from.  Uncle Bob's fiddle, John's fiddle, Raymond's fiddle, Mel's fiddle, and a few more.

I've only done it with my harps (it's kind of a weird harp thing, perhaps?).  I have four and they all have names beginning with the letter F.  I actually have 2 "boy" harps.  They sort of named themselves actually.  For me it's an easy way of keeping tabs on them so I know which one I'm bringing to a gig.

None of my other instruments (guitars, bouzouki, whistles, flute, uilleann pipes) have names.  I hope they don't feel slighted!

I called my harp Claire :) 

I do too.  I mostly name them by well anything really.  I have an accordion called the Sad Box because of the state it was in when I got it.  Then there is the Piss Box because it got pee pee from a dog.  The Handyman because the guy who had it before me tried his hand at accordion repair(he was unsuccessful).  My banjo has no name and neither does my button box.  I have more accordion names if you are interested.

|I don't know if that is a name as such, but my fiddle is called "The Plank".  (one's the German Plank, the other is the Wouldhave Plank, John Wouldhave made it)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Tradconnect Reviews.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The title of your home page You could put your verification ID in a comment Or, in its own meta tag Or, as one of your keywords Your content is here. The verification ID will NOT be detected if you put it here. .slick-track { display: flex!important; justify-content: center; align-items: center;/* Safari */ display: -webkit-flex!important; -webkit-justify-content:center; -webkit-align-items: center; }