I could list many but for now

Kathleen Collins - Traditional Music of Ireland. Great fiddle

Arcady - Many Happy Returns

Deiseal - The Long Long Note. Best low whistle album I have heard

Views: 898

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There you go Dan, i knew others would bring up albums i'd go "Jeez.. of course, why didn't i think of that"

: ) Oh well, as i said the albums i posted were the ones that came out on top of my head.. De danann's album/s are brilliant too!

Kitty Lie Over - Mick O'Brien agus Caoimhín Ó Raghallaigh

One of my all time favorites.  The music is lively but played at a pace that really shows off the beauty of the tunes (and in a mellow Bb setting).

Comb Your Hair and Curl It - Catherine McEvoy, Caoimhín Ó Raghallaigh agus Mícheál Ó Raghallaigh

I've spent a lot of time with this one lately- just lovely, lively music.

Planxty's first three were fantastic.  After the Break and the one that followed were pretty good but Words and Music never held my attention.  Shame how many albums in the 80's were ruined by the synth technology fad.  Still, I've yet to hear a band that does both songs and tunes so well and so consistently.  Quite a lineup of talent there and I just love O'Flynn's piping style backed by the Irvine/Lunny powerhouse rhythm.

Bothy Band recorded well throughout the band's existence.  Not a bad recording to be found by them, in my opinion.

Paddy Keenan is an amazing talent and I can't for the life of me figure out why he pumps his recordings so full of reverb and drum machines... just kills it for me.  His first album (banjo playing aside) is fantastic and really shows off his prowess.  I've had him out twice now for house concerts and workshops and he never ceases to amaze.

Both of those albums are kick-a** as well, no doubt about it.  I would also mention the Begley and Cooney album 'Meitheal' in this thread as well.  That one is a classic now.

I saw recently that Mick and Caoimhín plan to release their duet followup to Kitty Lie Over next month at Scoil Samhraidh Willie Clancy!  Very exciting!

http://www.stateofchassis.com/news.php

Now that is good news Johnny ... thanks for the warning .... very exciting indeed!

Cheers,

Dick

Fantastic!
Though partially related to the topic - I still consider the "Bringing it all back home" DVD
and "Come west along the road" series DVD 1 the best.

And... of course, the last Planxty reunion DVD/CD and Solas reunion DVD/CD :)
Tasty tunes on Frankie Gavin, Joe Derrane and Brian McGrath's 'Ireland's Harvest'. Also, a big fan of John Wynn and John McEvoy's 'Pride of the West'. But for me, there's no beating Donal Murphy's 'Happy Hour'
Pathway to the Well by Matt Molloy, John Carty & Arty McGlynn. Fantastic stuff with some of the tunes recorded live at Matt Molloy's pub.

Not that I'm really qualified to comment, but my favourite group in the whole wide world would be Slide. For a taste of their music, their album 'Beo Live' is really good.

"This is amazing music. I have rarely heard such effervescence, vigour and life, and sheer joy, come from players." - Ellen Cranitch, Lyric FM

"This band is taking Irish music to a new place. Their music will touch people far beyond the realm of traditional music." - Dónal Lunny

Another album I thought was fantastic was Seán Smyth's debut, 'The Blue Fiddle'. I can't give quotes for this one, but I'd listen to every track on it again and again, and he did go on to found Lúnasa.

If you've not yet picked up your copy, I recomend doing so! :)

Deadly Buzz

Johnny Kerr said:

I saw recently that Mick and Caoimhín plan to release their duet followup to Kitty Lie Over next month at Scoil Samhraidh Willie Clancy!  Very exciting!

http://www.stateofchassis.com/news.php

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

© 2020   Created by Tradconnect Reviews.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The title of your home page You could put your verification ID in a comment Or, in its own meta tag Or, as one of your keywords Your content is here. The verification ID will NOT be detected if you put it here. .slick-track { display: flex!important; justify-content: center; align-items: center;/* Safari */ display: -webkit-flex!important; -webkit-justify-content:center; -webkit-align-items: center; }