Hi All,

Anyone recommend some good fiddle tunes for a beginner?

So far I have:

Glenside polka (no 1)

Britches Full of Stitches

Star of the County Down

Thanks

Ian

Views: 3466

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Ian,

When I started, I learned the following:

The Kerry Polka

The Three Note Jig

Anything For JohnJoe (Reel)

I would Highly recommend Paul McNevin's "A Complete Guide To Learning The Irish Fiddle" and  "The Irish Fiddle Book" by Matt Cranitch.  They both take you from the very basics through to some fairly advanced tunes. Both also have cd's so you can hear the tunes being played.

Paul

Paul is right, both are excellent books. Apart from explaining lots of technical and musical aspects of playing Irish fiddle, they also include lots of 'must know' tunes. And of course, if you hear a tune you like and you want to try to play it, you can nearly always find the sheet music at thesession.org

Good luck! Bert 

Paul Ivory said:

Hi Ian,

When I started, I learned the following:

The Kerry Polka

The Three Note Jig

Anything For JohnJoe (Reel)

I would Highly recommend Paul McNevin's "A Complete Guide To Learning The Irish Fiddle" and  "The Irish Fiddle Book" by Matt Cranitch.  They both take you from the very basics through to some fairly advanced tunes. Both also have cd's so you can hear the tunes being played.

Paul

Fig for a kiss, slip jig.

Absolutely - St. Anne's Reel, Swallowtail Jig, Irish Washerwoman. Devil's Dream, Mason's Apron.....they are fairly easy and lots of fun. I would suggest having a look at my book "Kierah's Collection" written for all levels of playing. Lots of fun tunes written for all levels of playing and they play perfectly into traditional tunes! www.irishmadness.com

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. They make a nice change from
Suzuki Book 1 :-)

I bought Paul McNevins book as well (why do they bind music books this way!? It won't
stay open without clothes pegs!)

Ian
I got a Kinsman music stand. It has little wire gadgets for keeping books open. You should be able to get one for less than 20 quid. Either that or do a load of photocopying!!

P

The Sunny Banks & The Blacksmith's Daughter are simple reels that have a lot of room to grow with you. I love them! I learned them in a workshop that had beginners to advanced fiddle players, taught by Sean Clohessey.

I take my music books to an office supply store where they convert them to spiral bound for about 5 dollars. Money well spent!

I have taught for many years on the fiddle and I always try to get them playing simple tunes to get a good rhythm into the music as this is essential

tunes like Rosemary Lane, Paddy's Return, trip to athlone as jigs keep it simple

Hi, I'm learning fiddle too and the Paul McNevin DVD is really good, you can get it in Waltons on George's St Dublin.

Does anyone know of a good fiddle teacher in Dublin (city centre)?

Thanks

Jack

Hi Jack,

Why not give Paul a shout.  He's based on the North side, not too far from the city centre.  Here's a link to his web site http://www.irishfiddle.ie/contact/

Paul

i use magnets but might not work on thick books

allan

Ian Wilson said:

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. They make a nice change from
Suzuki Book 1 :-)

I bought Paul McNevins book as well (why do they bind music books this way!? It won't
stay open without clothes pegs!)

Ian

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Tradconnect Reviews.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The title of your home page You could put your verification ID in a comment Or, in its own meta tag Or, as one of your keywords Your content is here. The verification ID will NOT be detected if you put it here. .slick-track { display: flex!important; justify-content: center; align-items: center;/* Safari */ display: -webkit-flex!important; -webkit-justify-content:center; -webkit-align-items: center; }