Not look'in for a fight but it appears as though trad players in Ireland are less uptight about playing a variety of tunes from different genre then some in the U.S.  Since when is a banjo an Irish Trad instrument but you see them all the time in trad Irish music.  Some of the pubs around the U.S. seem to me to be gatekeepers of trad music.  In some cases it gets to the point if you offer something newer in the trad tradition you get asked stick with the program or leave by the owner.  We do have a pretty good trad session in W. Michigan.  If by chance somebody does a Beach Boys tune all the better.  It breaks up the seemingly endless bunch of reels and jigs.

Views: 572

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Dick;

I think you hit the nail square on, for me anyhow.  I happen to be one of those folks who would prefer to listen the "kitchen or porch" type of music where it is done simply and grabs you. I personally find music very emotional actually.  I teach this to my students.  Listen to a piece and then tell me what you feel.  9 out 10 times they are able to do it, and I am finding a lot of my young students gravitating to the the Cultural Traditional and the Old Time ( not the contemporary) style of music these days. When I say young I mean 10-18 yrs of age.  They like the "simpler" melodies.

In Thunder Bay we have Cultural groups which put on festivals throughout the year and they pack in the young folk, as well the young folk being the participants and thoroughly enjoying what they are doing.

With all that said, I believe in the saying: As is beauty in in the eyes of the beholder, so is music to the listener.

Have a great one;

AJ

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Tradconnect Reviews.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The title of your home page You could put your verification ID in a comment Or, in its own meta tag Or, as one of your keywords Your content is here. The verification ID will NOT be detected if you put it here. .slick-track { display: flex!important; justify-content: center; align-items: center;/* Safari */ display: -webkit-flex!important; -webkit-justify-content:center; -webkit-align-items: center; }