Just for the Craic - Favourite Musical Expressions Anyone?

Hey Everyone,

I have an interest in etymology as well as music.  Doing a bit of research on organs earlier this week I learned what a "stop" is and it dawned on me that the term "to pull out all the stops" comes from organs.  I had never thought about it before. 

Organists pull out the stops to enhance the sound of the organ getting a richer, louder sound, so the term "to pull out all the stops" came to mean not holding back to achieve something.  

I was wondering if anyone has any interesting/ favourite musical idioms or terms they'd like to share?   Be great to hear the meaning and the back story too!   

Erica  

Views: 144

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Erica,

I hope you’re well and keeping as fit as a fiddle.  Seeing as you called the tune here I thought I might as well face the music and jot down a few thoughts.  I don’t mean to blow my own trumpet or anything, as I’m very much playing this by ear, but I thought of quite a few musical idioms earlier. In fact they went in and out of my head all day like a fiddler’s elbow.  Anyway, as I write this hopefully I won’t be whistling in the dark.  Aren’t idioms are great?  They’re like music to my ears, but in order to hit the right note they have to be clear as a bell. Am I making sense?  If not, I’ll read over this and fine tune it.  I hope this strikes a chord with what you’re looking for.  If not, maybe I’ll have to change my tune.

Well, that’s all I can think of for now. Have a nice day and all that jazz. 

Paul

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Tradconnect Reviews.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The title of your home page You could put your verification ID in a comment Or, in its own meta tag Or, as one of your keywords Your content is here. The verification ID will NOT be detected if you put it here. .slick-track { display: flex!important; justify-content: center; align-items: center;/* Safari */ display: -webkit-flex!important; -webkit-justify-content:center; -webkit-align-items: center; }