Are there others who started learning their instrument only after retiring from work? What is your experience particularly in workshops? I myself am rather slow at learning a new tune (the more if I get only abc notation) compared with young people, which can be rather frustrating for both.

Views: 186

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not retired yet, but I'm 56 years old and just started learning to play the pipes a couple of months ago (though I've played whistle and several other non-trad instruments for a long time).   My memory is certainly not what it used to be, and I do find it more difficult to memorize tunes now.  I probably rely too much on written music, but I play mostly for my own enjoyment anyway so I'm not too bothered. 

Werner,

I am still working at age 67 in the U.S. but I started taking fiddle lessons from my teacher when I was 58 and yes - I am slow as compared to the youngsters - but as my teacher reminds me now and then "what's your hurry?" and he is exactly right.  

I have no experience to share about workshops but from everything that I hear, they are more than welcoming to all folks of all skill levels and ages.  

I wouldn't trade my private lessons with my teacher for anything!

Hi Werner,

I was remembering that I DID take a couple of group classes in Irish Fiddle - I had forgotten them when I replied the other day.

YES - I said to the teacher of one group class that I was holding everyone else back and I felt bad.  The teacher replied to me - "Don't worry about that.  This is a group and everyone in the group has different needs and you're entitled to get help when you need it."  

But I know it can be uncomfortable.  But you're paying for the class, too.  It's as much your class as it is anyone else's.

I wish you had a teacher - even once a month - it would boost your self-esteem on the concertina.  I doubt you're doing as "badly" as you think!

OH - and the others in my class were mostly classical violinists who were delving into Irish Trad - they REALLY knew how to play the instrument!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Tradconnect Reviews.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The title of your home page You could put your verification ID in a comment Or, in its own meta tag Or, as one of your keywords Your content is here. The verification ID will NOT be detected if you put it here. .slick-track { display: flex!important; justify-content: center; align-items: center;/* Safari */ display: -webkit-flex!important; -webkit-justify-content:center; -webkit-align-items: center; }