So three weeks ago I joined a local traditional music group in my town. All was quite well, however, playing from sheet music and not neccesarily in convenient keys for me it was a rather difficult thing for me. My lady told me to just post an advertisement on facebook along the lines of "looking for fellow musicians that want to play celtic trad music with me". Done deal, I got a reply from a spanish guy, Marko, who's in town as an exchange student and was playing guitar, excellent!

We practiced together and immediately clicked. Most songs we practiced went right from the first go. I also asked one of the girls from my group to join; she plays the flute. We practiced together once and it was a lot of fun, we seemed to be on the same level. At the end of the practice session Marko said that there was going to be an open stage the next week, even though we only practiced two times we decided to go that open stage and play the following tunes:

Blarney Pilgrim

John Ryan's Polka

Foggy Dew

Andro 1789 (French song, Brittany)

The Sailor and the Maid ( JJ Milteau)

The public was amazing. We were the third "band" to go on the stage, and they really started dancing clapping and all that. For John Ryan's Polka I totall - totally - screwed up because I was just full with nerves. So I told the audience that I was going to try again and they started cheering when and dancing at that song as well. Really amazing experience for me! Wish it was filmed. 

Views: 306

Replies to This Discussion

So during the show I also asked if there were musicians in the audience that wanted to play celtic music as well. Two girls jumped up, one of them a violin player and the other plays an assortment of instruments, percussion, bass guitar also violin. Then later on, I also asked whether there were any singers in the audience, many of the tunes we want to play sort of require that someone sings. Again there was a girl that jumped up.

This all happened two days ago. Now we're the 3 new girls are going to play with us next week when we practice and on Sunday next week we will join the local session as a group. Exciting times for me :) 

Congratulations Boyen, The first time on stage with a new group is always very tense. Let's see what you experienced during this session.  You found out that the audience is much more forgiving than you thought. There is also some sort of electricity passing from the entertainers to the audience. Once you have the audience in the right mood, it is easier to deliver a good performance.Being yourself makes the performance even more interesting. The audience looks for this show of character, look at the Irish Rovers for example, they could be funny without even trying because of their demeanour on stage. It also seems like you had the right choice of music for the occasion. The more you practice together and the easier it gets. Believe it or not, it can become quite addictive. You seem to be on your way to enjoy yourselves during night sessions. Did you discuss of a name for the group yet? Keep up the good work and keep us posted on your progress. This is what will make this site interesting. Here, we started again with the Bedford Fiddlers. We have weekly sessions in a leisure center where peoples are invited to attend. This is where we learn a lot from each others. The audience dancing to our music is what tells us we are successful. Once a month we play at a big retirement place. We also have some organised tours where we perform at different places throughout the province. We started this last year and it was fun. One of our members, an accordionist is a driver for a bus tour company and can arrange to have a bus for a lower rate. He is the bus driver for the trip and we sure have a chuckle with this. We all pitch in money wise to pay for the tour. Usually, we have two performances, one visit, two meals . The tour lasts eight hours, from eight o'clock in the morning, returning at  four in the afternoon. This is a lot of fun. We travel in style and there is enough room under the bus to stow the instruments. This is quite an experience.I'll share the next trip with you. Meanwhile, I encourage you to keep on performing and telling us about it. This is very interesting. I welcome the "Boyen Rovers" on the stage. Good luck.
Boyen said:

So during the show I also asked if there were musicians in the audience that wanted to play celtic music as well. Two girls jumped up, one of them a violin player and the other plays an assortment of instruments, percussion, bass guitar also violin. Then later on, I also asked whether there were any singers in the audience, many of the tunes we want to play sort of require that someone sings. Again there was a girl that jumped up.

This all happened two days ago. Now we're the 3 new girls are going to play with us next week when we practice and on Sunday next week we will join the local session as a group. Exciting times for me :) 

i'm very excited for you! this sounds like an amazing experience! one that i too hope to have once my playing ( and guts) get up to snuff!

RSS

© 2020   Created by Tradconnect Reviews.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The title of your home page You could put your verification ID in a comment Or, in its own meta tag Or, as one of your keywords Your content is here. The verification ID will NOT be detected if you put it here. .slick-track { display: flex!important; justify-content: center; align-items: center;/* Safari */ display: -webkit-flex!important; -webkit-justify-content:center; -webkit-align-items: center; }