I am trying to compile a list of album reviews from members of the site which I will put on the home page. What would be great would be for everyone to pick a favourite album that they love. Tell us a little about it and why you like it, how it influenced you, set you on the road to learning the music etc.

If you have time cut and paste an image of the album and some additional review material (giving credit to original reviewer)

If we get enough it could provide a good independent "recommendation" list for other members. Who knows we may discover something magical.

If you have a second or third, post it as a separate item.

Views: 296

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Very very tough choice.. First to come to mind though is Paddy Keenan's first solo album (simply named 'Paddy Keenan' )

Brilliant playing, excellent choice of tunes and has been a huge inspiration to me since i first heard it.

Hi Lars!  Would you be referring to Paddy Keenan's eponymous album from 1975? Great choice!!!

I'm not yet ready to answer Tony's discussion yet, but I REALLY LOVE that CD!  It got it uploaded onto my fast car's jukebox right away!!! Oh yeah, I was listening to it this morning rolling in the high speed lane down Interstate-71 into Cincinnati, blasting on The Steampacket and McLeod's!!!  You can't tell by looking at me, but I can be a high-strung and high-spirited soul, so that CD drives me absolutely insane... I think it's going to be the cause of earning a speeding ticket someday!!! Great banjo and and whistle by Paddy's brothers: Johnny Keenan, may he rest in peace, and Brendan Keenan.  I would put it Paddy's artistry right at the top of all my lists in all genres: rock and roll, folk, blues, alternative, classical etc.

It's not just the fast tunes I love so much, but Paddy shows such versatility with his expressive playing on the airs.  The first time I heard a recording of Paddy's virtuosic rendition of air Blackbird, I was driving with tears streaming down both cheeks. That's when I knew for sure that Paddy is indeed virtuosic, because every artist (classical musicians, pop or blues musicians, etc.) that has ever broken me into tears has eventually been described as virtuosic.

Regarding the sticky note you posted... yes, you do have great taste in music!

I'm not sure yet about which CD I will pick for this discussion, but you already got one from the very top of my list here!!!

~Connie

P.S. Lars - I got a nice pic of the album cover for your discussion about Paddy Keenan (1975).

P.S.S.  I played Paddy's rendition of the air 'The Blackbird' for one of my sisters, and she cried too, so either we are both genetically insane, or Paddy is really that much of an amazing artist...  I think I'll go with the second option :)!

I'd blame it on Paddy. That air (The Blackbird) is so emotionally stirring.. I even posted a link to it on a Mac forum, in a 'emotional music' thread, and more than one person replied that it was beautiful, very haunting and sad.

Matt Molloy, Tommy Peoples and Paul Brady

Contentment is Wealth

How the West Was Won 1 & 2 - De Dannan

Brian McGrath and Johnny Óg Connolly

Edel Fox and Rónan O Flaherty

Drivin' Leitrim Timber

Sheridan's Guesthouse

Hi Lars,

I just realized that I'd given credit for the whistle playing to the incorrect Keenan brother.  That would be Thomas Keenan's whistle, I believe!

Eilidh Shaw plays fiddle on her album Heepirumbo. I love it because of her great expression that just sways elegantly. With my whistle and flute I work on mostly jigs/reels/waltz/muzurkas and a few airs strictly ITM and her music contrasts and refreshens my ears somehow. It's just different from what I play, maybe more Scottish but really speaks to me. Eventually I imagine it will influence my playing but I have so much to learn before then. I have the album cover on my iTunes but don't know how to upload it.

I second "Contentment is Wealth"!

Tis an unbelievable album..plenty to be learned from it anyway!

Angelina Carberry and Martin Quinn- Banjo and Box. Mighty album with fresh tunes.

Tough!!

The Branch Line-Jack and Charlie Coen; or

The Compositions of Paddy O'Brien (Nenagh); or

Contentment is Wealth, Molloy et al; or

The South West Wind, Ronan Brown and Peter O'Loughlin

If I might add another: Cathal McConnel (of Boys of the Lough): Album "Long Expectant Comes At Last"

A very interesting album and unique in many ways, well worth a listen.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Tradconnect Reviews.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The title of your home page You could put your verification ID in a comment Or, in its own meta tag Or, as one of your keywords Your content is here. The verification ID will NOT be detected if you put it here. .slick-track { display: flex!important; justify-content: center; align-items: center;/* Safari */ display: -webkit-flex!important; -webkit-justify-content:center; -webkit-align-items: center; }