I am trying to compile a list of album reviews from members of the site which I will put on the home page. What would be great would be for everyone to pick a favourite album that they love. Tell us a little about it and why you like it, how it influenced you, set you on the road to learning the music etc.

If you have time cut and paste an image of the album and some additional review material (giving credit to original reviewer)

If we get enough it could provide a good independent "recommendation" list for other members. Who knows we may discover something magical.

If you have a second or third, post it as a separate item.

Views: 296

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

review/recommendation

Bought this CD only yesterday,  it's a great album!

Fine musicians, the tunes are played with great lilt and some of the tunes have wee twists i haven't heard before.

recommended!

Doublin'
Studio album by Paddy Glackin & Paddy Keenan
Released 1979
Recorded Keystone Studios Dublin
Genre Irish Folk
Label Tara Music label
Producer P.J. Curtis

Paddy Keenan on uilleann pipes and Paddy Glackin on fiddle were two of the founding members of one of Ireland's foremost traditional groups of all time The Bothy Band.

Tracks:

1. Reels: The Mountain Road / The Congress Reel
  2. Hornpipes: The Plains of Boyle / Cronin's Hornpipe
  3. Reel: Castlekelly
  4. Reel: The Bunch of Keys. (Pipes Solo)
  5. Jigs: Tripping Up The Stairs / Fraher's Jig.
  6. Reel: Jenny's Welcome to Charlie
  7. Reel; The Boyne Hunt / Toss The Feathers
  8. Reels: The Dublin Reel / The Woman of the House
  9. Jigs: The Sporting Pitchfork / The Rambling Pitchfork
  10. Reels: Last Nights Fun / The Salamanca
  11. Jigs: My Darling Asleep / Garrett Barry's Jig
  12. Slow Air: Roisin Dubh (Pipes Solo)
  13. Reels: The Old Bush / The Bucks of Oranmore

Musicians:

Fiddle - Paddy Glackin

Uilleann Pipes - Paddy Keenan

Bodhran and Blarge - Donal Lunny

Concertina - Noel Kenney

My plan is to review a few of my favorite recordings, in no particular order... just whenever the mood strikes me to write about one of them.

Before opening the CD, I got a big kick out of the title: the two lead musicians are both named Paddy and they are from Dublin... very nice word play!  I heard some of The Bothy Band CDs prior to hearing this CD (and all of their recordings belong on this list too), so I'd already had a good feeling about the potential chemistry of this recording!

The first set of reels coming right out of the gate are sassy and very high energy 'The Mountain Road' / 'The Congress Reel'.  I thought "hey. wait a minute... 'The Mountain Road'?" - I thought I'd might've heard that tune down home in the mountains of Kentucky myself long ago... somebody probably played it on the old country radio when I was a teenager!

Paddy Glackin's playing sounds very rhythmic and natural to me, and not extremely over-polished as we are apt to hear today in some of the more manufactured Irish fiddling styles.  Very unassuming and pleasant... from the heart inside out, the way it should be played... yet it makes me want to jump out of my chair and dance! Jenny's Welcome to Charlie is masterful execution.  His natural yet style is somethng for me to aim for in my own fiddling.

Paddy Keenan's uilleann pipe tunes are always virtuosic and flowing, changing like cool and warm tides of the sea.  His style can go from a nearly belligerent opening that's indeed a surprising and welcomed assault to the ear, to a tender slow air that can nearly bring you out of your chair and to your knees.

A dynamic duo on the fiddle and pipes that will get you out of that chair!!!

Do you know how some CDs always seem to have one or more tracks that you might feel like skipping? This CD doesn't have any of those!  If you don't have this CD, I recommend it as a "must have" staple for your Irish traditional music collection.  If you have it but haven't played it for a while - I recommend that you pull it out and really enjoy the great chemistry of the two Paddys, and take special care to enjoy all those little nuances that mean so much in a great musical recording.

Tommy Peoples - Waiting For A Call - 2003

If you love amazing fiddle, here's a great CD that's always been a pleasure to hear from day one!  What can I say? The distinctively ornamented playing of Tommy Peoples is one of a kind and among the best in the business.  I'm looking forward to collecting all of Tommy Peoples' works (I have only two of his so far). They are both incredibly well done and span a wide time period between decades, only proving that he has gotten better throughout the years!

I tried to add the track listing, but it was a pain.  I hope you will look into it for yourself :)!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

© 2020   Created by Tradconnect Reviews.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The title of your home page You could put your verification ID in a comment Or, in its own meta tag Or, as one of your keywords Your content is here. The verification ID will NOT be detected if you put it here. .slick-track { display: flex!important; justify-content: center; align-items: center;/* Safari */ display: -webkit-flex!important; -webkit-justify-content:center; -webkit-align-items: center; }