Publishing & Copyright Alternatives (piggy-backing the "ARTISTS BEWARE OF INTERNET" discussion.

I'm "piggy-backing" Cynthia Smith's great discussion on what to look out for when putting your music out there on the internet. Please feel free to post your comments on what has worked or has not worked  for you as an artist & performer. I'm especially interested in shared experiences involving publishing & copyrighting original material, managing yourself, distributing your material, use of pre-existing music & how to get publisher's permission, etc. You may want to check the aforementioned discussion on "ARTISTS BEWARE......" to see why this discussion was set up!!!

Views: 604

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh Kees!  That is funny! 

I once had a recording engineer tell me there were "only 3 original Irish tunes and all the rest are plaguerized".  The band didn't work in his studio after all.

Really, the copyright/registration issue re: old trad tunes is about protecting your arrangement/rendition/recording of them.  You still have to list the tunes as public domain when you register them with BMI.  I guess it's the same for ASCAP, SESAC, etc.

I would still always copyright my original tunes now though....Which is not to say I wouldn't share them.  As an indie artist, I can do that.  I own the publishing rights.

I've said it before.....The music industry is a rough place!

Cynthia Smith http://smittykitchenmusic.com/

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Tradconnect Reviews.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The title of your home page You could put your verification ID in a comment Or, in its own meta tag Or, as one of your keywords Your content is here. The verification ID will NOT be detected if you put it here. .slick-track { display: flex!important; justify-content: center; align-items: center;/* Safari */ display: -webkit-flex!important; -webkit-justify-content:center; -webkit-align-items: center; }