Whether recording ourselves in our kitchen with a small tape recorder or using a professional studio to lay down some tracks & tunes, there is an art to capturing & documenting our music. Even recording sessions for later replay and enjoyment. Questions arise: "Am I satisfied with this???",..."Does this REALLY give a listener a true means to assess my capabilities???",..."Will people appreciate and even like this???"

For myself, finally having a decent means of recording my music, there is a frustrating personal movement of trial and error, patience and learning, takes & takes & takes until something is (at least) acceptable. Striving for perfection (or "That's good enough!!!") to put something out there. Or, maybe it's just for personal listening to be able to hear how our practicing a piece has developed into what we want it to be. Reviewing that music allows us to be separated from just playing something to actually listening to it. Then there's the agonizing decision of having someone else hear it,....for approval or contructive criticism or even just to have one's EGO stroked. Sometimes, our expectations are rewarded or crushed.

With this discussion, I wondered what some of you feel about this, how you use recordings of yourselves, what some of your experiences are: Exhilaration or Disappointment. I look forward to your comments.

Views: 303

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think the most frustrating thing in recording at home is the amount of "takes" I have to do. Even when I believe I've got it, there's always something that I hear when reviewing the recording (clunker, mis-timing,...little mistakes here & there) that will cause me to try again. When I do post a song I do so as a "demo" which I believe will come across as a "disclaimer" for imperfections. For me, the benefit of recording helps to "get it down" musically. As an aid to practice I find it as a valuable asset.

Dhomhnaill.  I did have a listen to your soundcloud uploads and you seem to have cracked it pretty much. They sound pretty good. What equipment are you using? Once you upload a number of tracks you may not know that you can create a Playlist of the tracks on Soundcloud which you can then embed.  This way it plays like an album which you can embed on the site, or on your own profile. You can even listen to it on your smart phone via the Soundcloud app.

Hiya Tony!!! As always, your words of support & encouragement are very much appreciated. Presently, I am recording on a TASCAM DP-24 DIGITAL PORTASTUDIO. It's a 24 track board (of which I only use a max of 8 for my recordings,...so far), with Mixing & Mastering capabilities, as well as CD burning.  Still learning this stuff but after posting my first three songs (which I am re-recording some tracks and re-mixing) I feel my next few uploads should be better. Your suggestion of creating a playlist sounds exciting. Once I'm there (don't know when,... as I'm never satisfied) I'll do just that. Thanks for your comment. Cheers, mate.

Danny

Hi Dhomhnaill, it was a pleasure to hear you. Long ago I decided to record most of what I know on harmonica so I could pass it on to my children when it is time for me to play for another audience in the sky. I used a small cassette recorder and believe it or not, it could catch the higher sounds of the harmonica without distortion. So I recorded, re recorded and recorded again each piece until I was happy and when finished, I turned this into CD s on the computer. The results are by no means professional but I can sure recognise myself playing each tunes. This was a very interesting experiment.I however wish there was another instrument with me on these recording because using the harmonica only even with all the ornementations possible, this is still only a harmonica. Best of the day to you and keep up the good work

Hi Normand. Years back (maybe 40+ ???), I had owned a TEAC reel-to-reel recorder which was a great assett to me, both for rehearsing and putting together a final product (of sorts). Using it on my own was fine, but trying to record a group performance was sloppy at best (unbalanced, alot of ambient sound, placement of the recorder [with only one small & cheap mic] was also an issue), but as a young & eager musician about to become as famous as the Beatles };^0 it was fun. Eventually, I used a small SONY cassette recorder with attached stereo mics, and, to be honest, it was more practical. I still have boxes (collecting dust) of 1/4 inch tapes & cassettes with some of that music on them (the last time I listened to any of them I cringed at the audacity of thinking I/we would become famous from the crap I/we recorded,....but, AHHH !!!,....the innocence & ignorance of the "immortal youth"). Unfortunately, now I have no way to listen to them since the formats are now obsolete and I don't have the equipment. Everthing is now digital. Yes, I guess I could get a cassette recorder and tranfer them to my computer but the memories are enough for me.

I would love to hear some of your recordings. Maybe you should consider posting some here at TC. I know I, myself, have played along with some of the posted material, just for the fun of it. Cheers, mate. Thanks for your input.

Danny

Hi again my friend, I see we had similar experiences. Wouldn't this be fun to reopen this box of souvenirs  you got so you can meditate on your past experiences. I'm at an age where I start doing this when I'm all alone with a shot of whiskey by my side. Eventually, I'll have copies made up and I will give these recordings as a gift to my children. This way they will be able to see that there old man was also playing some music when  he wasn't raising hell... loll. Best of the day to you.

Dhomhnaill A. Lopez said:

Hi Normand. Years back (maybe 40+ ???), I had owned a TEAC reel-to-reel recorder which was a great assett to me, both for rehearsing and putting together a final product (of sorts). Using it on my own was fine, but trying to record a group performance was sloppy at best (unbalanced, alot of ambient sound, placement of the recorder [with only one small & cheap mic] was also an issue), but as a young & eager musician about to become as famous as the Beatles };^0 it was fun. Eventually, I used a small SONY cassette recorder with attached stereo mics, and, to be honest, it was more practical. I still have boxes (collecting dust) of 1/4 inch tapes & cassettes with some of that music on them (the last time I listened to any of them I cringed at the audacity of thinking I/we would become famous from the crap I/we recorded,....but, AHHH !!!,....the innocence & ignorance of the "immortal youth"). Unfortunately, now I have no way to listen to them since the formats are now obsolete and I don't have the equipment. Everthing is now digital. Yes, I guess I could get a cassette recorder and tranfer them to my computer but the memories are enough for me.

I would love to hear some of your recordings. Maybe you should consider posting some here at TC. I know I, myself, have played along with some of the posted material, just for the fun of it. Cheers, mate. Thanks for your input.

Danny

After uploading some songs and listening to them, I find that they don't come out as I expected them to. For "The Lass of Glenshee", I noticed that the voices were too loud and the accompaniment seemed too soft. I sat down to do a re-mix/re-master of the song where all the tracks were evenly leveled. This time I listened carefully and found that (NOW) all the tracks seemed to be competing with each other. Trying to find that "perfect balance" seems elusive to me. So I'm committed to keep trying for that "perfect blend" (at least to my ear). Not having training in audio mixing (for music), is, at best, a hit or miss experience. I believe I have to "ride the levels" when I mix the tracks (physically move the faders during "mastering recording" to compensate for peaks and valleys on the recorded tracks). I know this comment is moving beyond the initial theme of this discussion but I wonder if anyone else has some advice or can share in their own experiences. I liked things better when it was just: "Awww,....just play the music and to hell with all this mumbo-jumbo"!!! Cheers,

Danny

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Tradconnect Reviews.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The title of your home page You could put your verification ID in a comment Or, in its own meta tag Or, as one of your keywords Your content is here. The verification ID will NOT be detected if you put it here. .slick-track { display: flex!important; justify-content: center; align-items: center;/* Safari */ display: -webkit-flex!important; -webkit-justify-content:center; -webkit-align-items: center; }