Well, if you just read the discussion title and thought I was going to answer that question once and for all, you'd be wrong !!!!!

There are now dozens of makers offering products at a wide range of prices. For the sake of anyone just starting out in the tooting game, I thought it might be interesting for us all to list our own individual "top 3" whistles and state why. You never know, the trends we see might make interesting reading and shed some light on where good value is to be had.

So, to kick things off, in order, my top 3 whistles are :-

No 1 - My Freeman tweaked Blackbird in D. Its not actually my favourite playing whistle BUT its the best I have representing a whistle that is still being manufactured. Sad to say, they seem just not to make them like my 25 year old Feadog anymore!

No 2 - A one piece aluminium "Ellis" whistle in C. It has a nice even tone over both octaves which appeals to me. The only drawback being that I do prefer tuneable whistles. I gather that they do make a tuneable version though.

No 3 - My Clare brass 2 piece in D. OK, so its not got the same tone I like from my old Feadog BUT its dead handy to keep in the car. This one has also had the blu tack modification. You just never know when your going to need a whistle in a hurry do you?

Over to the rest of you then, lets see if there are any clear winners in this.

Views: 19638

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Totally agree here.. Mary Bergin plays a generation and it sounds better than any high-end whistle, in my opinion.
I think that Liam O'flynn uses a generation too. Maybe we became spoiled over the years.. :)

Lars Mott said:

On the general subject - I feel many high-end whistles are pretty soul-less to be blunt.. Yes, they are wonderfully in tune and beautifully made - but - doesn't really sound like a tinwhistle..

Don't want to throw firebombs here, but i play and like whistle for it's sound, and consequently if it doesn't sound like a tin whistle - what's the point?

Just my 100% subjective opinion/p.o.v. : )

I have seen Liam Og O'Flynn and Paddy Moloney play "high end" whistles, Burke and Sindt(?) respectively but those sounded "Genuine" not like a whistle synth sound, which i have heard top end/priced whistles do.

First of all, "the best whistle money can buy" is extremely subjective and highly unlikely that any five whistlers from different parts of the world are going to come to any consensus... which is fine and to be expected.  Cool the jets and be willing to accept that others' opinions may not match your own.  To one person a very pure tone is preferred but to me it's boring.  To me a Generation or Feadog has a lovely complexity and character and to another it will be described as buzzy or "unplayable".

I agree that many high end whistles sound too pure and lack the complexity of tone that I prefer.  People go on about the "perfect" tuning but great musicians have managed with Generations, Feadogs and the like for decades and there are great recordings out there to prove it.  My early exposure to Irish music was to these recordings and as such I prefer the "cheap" whistle sound.  I've owned and played just about everything except wood whistles (which don't interest me in the least) and ended up selling them all after a while (including Overtons, Burkes, Chieftains, etc).  I kept the Sindt because it does have some of that sound in it.  I don't much care for low D's these days but I was very impressed by the MK whistle that I tried on a few occasions.  The beak was very comfortable and the tone was much less empty than many low D's I've tried, especially the Burke.

Well, Paddy.. would you have reacted similarily if i had not chosen the Bugatti Veyron as "the best car money can buy"?

What defines "the best" anyway? Most expensive? Hardest to get?

I love uilleann pipes for their squawks, clacking valves and slightly swaying drones. Had someone made a set without all those idiosyncrases i think i'd rather buy a accordeon.

Perhaps not the best metaphore, but i have got the same feeling more than once when i have seen video reviews and heard sound samples of *some* NOT *all* hi-end expensive whistles. Take Overton/Goldie - their low-D is the one by which all others are measured IMO, take the soprano D - i wouldn't want one as i don't care for it's sound at all.

Horses for courses i guess, discussing taste and personal preferences is pointless unless one can agree to disagree without calling each other clueless.

For *me* the best whistle money can buy might well be a vintage Generation, Sindt, iMpempe or  Burke, for you it may be Overton or Abell or whatever else.

I suggest we agree to disagree ; )

Your statement.......

" I do actually love the sound of my 10 Euro (2piece )Feadog) as it has a sound 'all its own. . You will never get five players to agree on any ting, anyways."

Thats it! - spot on! Just because a whistle was cheap does not make it rubbish. The opposite is also true, paying out lots for a whistle is not a guarantee your getting something good. And we may not agree, but the opinions of all you other "tooters" make interesting reading.

Paddy Walin said:

Works for me ..........as tis all subjuctive. I do actually love the sound of my 10 Euro (2piece )Feadog) as it has a sound 'all its own.  . You will never get five players to agree on any ting, anyways. Fair play. 
Lars Mott said:

Well, Paddy.. would you have reacted similarily if i had not chosen the Bugatti Veyron as "the best car money can buy"?

What defines "the best" anyway? Most expensive? Hardest to get?

I love uilleann pipes for their squawks, clacking valves and slightly swaying drones. Had someone made a set without all those idiosyncrases i think i'd rather buy a accordeon.

Perhaps not the best metaphore, but i have got the same feeling more than once when i have seen video reviews and heard sound samples of *some* NOT *all* hi-end expensive whistles. Take Overton/Goldie - their low-D is the one by which all others are measured IMO, take the soprano D - i wouldn't want one as i don't care for it's sound at all.

Horses for courses i guess, discussing taste and personal preferences is pointless unless one can agree to disagree without calling each other clueless.

For *me* the best whistle money can buy might well be a vintage Generation, Sindt, iMpempe or  Burke, for you it may be Overton or Abell or whatever else.

I suggest we agree to disagree ; )

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

© 2020   Created by Tradconnect Reviews.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The title of your home page You could put your verification ID in a comment Or, in its own meta tag Or, as one of your keywords Your content is here. The verification ID will NOT be detected if you put it here. .slick-track { display: flex!important; justify-content: center; align-items: center;/* Safari */ display: -webkit-flex!important; -webkit-justify-content:center; -webkit-align-items: center; }