I have been playing the tin whistle for a good while now, I own a Feadog D whistle and a Clarke D Penny whistle which I really enjoy playing but I am considering buying a new ''up market'' whistle and would like your opinions and ideas on what you would recommend.

Views: 2042

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Brian!

Since the sky is the limit and there's a bewildering array of whistles out there, you'd better state a budget, and what you're looking for regarding sound characteristics etc.

A step up would be Jerry Freeman's tweaked whistles, the Mellow dog in particular. Further up you'll find Ian Turnbull's iMpempes, next in price we have the Löfgrens, Jean-Pierre Lemeur, Goldie and Burke.

If you have the opportunity to try them out at sessions, that would be best, if not, listen to all sound clips you can find and try to find reiews to get a picture. Best of luck, and don't hesitate to ask about specific whistles you may find along the way!

Thanks for your reply lars, I wouldnt have a cap on my budget i would be willing to pay good money for a great whistle. As for the sound characteristics i like the sweet and mellow sound of the mellow dog, and the chiff of the clarke. Ideally it would be a great sounding whistle for the traditional Irish sessúin. I have heard good things bout the mellow dog and blackbird whistle and also Burke whistles. I will take your advice on trying to get to listen and play with the different types before any final decision.

Listen to the sound samples here from the Löfgren whistles! An "insider" tip is buy them now before his name and prices reach Ivy league status as his whistles already have ;)

Also the Löfgren sound samples are very 'clean' as opposed to regurgitated through mixers and added reverb and whatnots.

I listened to a few samples of the Lofgren whistle and was wondering if you had any links as to where to purchase one or their pricing.

I Will answer in a message to avoid any spam bots picking up his e-mail address.

Ok that would be great, thanks Lars much appreciated.

You're best off to try out a few different ones and see which one suits. There's nothing worse than paying out for a whistle that someone else thinks is great but doesn't suit you in the slightest. Also listen to your favourite whistle players and if you want to replicate their sound, try to find out what kind of whistles they use. Hope this helps :)

Cillian O' Briain improved Feadóg whistles are quite reasonably priced at around €35 from Custys in Ennis, Co. Clare, www.custysmusic.com. Nice clear tone still with the regular feadóg chiff. I have heard good things too about the Jerry Freeman tweaked Generations. Personally the best whistle is from John Sindt in New York, but these are extremely hard to get now. There are some excellent wooden ones too but very expensive such as Gene Milligan, Chris Abell and Fred Rose. Keep whistling! Enda 

Sorry about the sidetrack Brian, but - Enda, have you tried the Mellow dog? IMO the best "Generation/Feadóg-type" whistle i have played. In all honesty i haven't played Cillians tweaked whistles, i had one of his low D's once though.

How do I get a lofgren whistle ?  and where can I listen to some sound samples ?

Lars 'Larry Mór' Mott said:

Listen to the sound samples here from the Löfgren whistles! An "insider" tip is buy them now before his name and prices reach Ivy league status as his whistles already have ;)

Also the Löfgren sound samples are very 'clean' as opposed to regurgitated through mixers and added reverb and whatnots.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

© 2020   Created by Tradconnect Reviews.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The title of your home page You could put your verification ID in a comment Or, in its own meta tag Or, as one of your keywords Your content is here. The verification ID will NOT be detected if you put it here. .slick-track { display: flex!important; justify-content: center; align-items: center;/* Safari */ display: -webkit-flex!important; -webkit-justify-content:center; -webkit-align-items: center; }