How Did You Choose Your Instrument (or Did Your Instrument Choose You)?!?

The Face of a Child:

When I was ten years of age, the conductor and violin teacher of our school orchestra, Mr. Robert Martin, came to visit our elementary public school in Cincinnati. He demonstrated just about every instrument that could be played, but especially the array of classical orchestral instruments.

The face of a child is always very honest.  During the presentation that day, something on my face must have caught Mr. Martin's attention.  Afterwards, he approached me directly about playing a violin.  I'd already knew that I was in love with the instrument, because I had heard it played SO EXPRESSIVELY in my parent's American folk, bluegrass and country music, and in countless soundtracks. He prompted me to ask my parents about buying me a violin, but he also offered to lend me a violin if I wanted to play!!!

I asked my dad about buying a violin, but I didn't know if he could. He surprised me by purchasing a violin for my eleventh birthday present. It must have been a real hardship for our family.  Looking back on it, I estimate that my dad must have labored for about 200 or 300 hours to pay for it.  Oops, and I wanted to convert it into some fiddle playing right away!

Sadly, things got busy, and my fiddle sat lonely for many years as I became a busy teen and adult...

The fiddle found me again, so I got it back out of it's case about two years ago.  It's been helping me have the time of my life!  So, I like to think that my fiddle chose me!!!

We must have been attracted to play the instruments we love for a reason...

Maybe you found your instrument under a parent's guidance and tutelage?

Maybe the instrument "runs in your family"?

Maybe you witnessed an amazing performance?

Maybe you are influenced by a legendary musical icon or hero?

Maybe you don't have much recollection about the reason? 

It would be interesting to know YOUR musical instrument story.  Thanks in advance for sharing!!!

Views: 1321

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi! I am a newbie here. (my first post!)  I guess I'd say the whistle chose me. My dad was a music teacher and one day when I was very young, he brought home a fife with a fipple mouthpiece. I learned how to play it and soon was playing all the cartoon songs and TV theme songs I'd ever heard. I would play them super fast and get my dad to laughing. It is a fond memory. Anyway, years later my mom brought me a brass whistle from her trip to Ireland. It had been about 15 years since I'd played the fife, but playing came back to me very quickly. Since receiving that whistle I started to do some music specials in church.  Now, 6 years later, I play with a band in church every week. (It's not "Traditional" whistle stuff, but I still feel I'm contributing to the overall worship experience). I have been to 2 sessions very recently but since I am such a newbie, no one seemed to notice me. It was not very friendly.I did ask to sit in and got a yes, and I didn't play anything I didn't know.  I'm going to try again after I learn some more tunes and try to get the etiquette down a bit. I really do love the music! 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Groups

© 2019   Created by Tradconnect Reviews.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The title of your home page You could put your verification ID in a comment Or, in its own meta tag Or, as one of your keywords Your content is here. The verification ID will NOT be detected if you put it here. .slick-track { display: flex!important; justify-content: center; align-items: center;/* Safari */ display: -webkit-flex!important; -webkit-justify-content:center; -webkit-align-items: center; }