I'm curious as to why so many people on social networks don't provide a photo of themselves. This site being no exception...

It's a bit like going to a session with a bag over your head or sending your instrument along on its own & hoping it will make friends for you!

In the past year so many people who are friends with me on Facebook have come up after gigs to say hello & it's been great to meet them in real life, and better still both recognise their face & even remember their name!

So come on... Stick a photo of the real you on here & who knows who you might meet at this years Fleadh or somewhere else for that matter!

Views: 607

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"I'm curious as to why so many people on social networks don't provide a photo of themselves."

Hey Gerry, the answer is simple, musicians aren't always that great to look at ...... e.g. Mugshot! ;-)

But seriously, I do agree that it'd be nice to see a few more faces here, instead of those boring grey head shots, even any sort of an image would be better than none. At least a photo of their favourite instrument would be better than nothing.

However, I suppose we really need to respect folks privacy on these sites, especially the younger members & as identity fraud becomes more & more common, perhaps it's not such a bad idea to be a little cautious.

Cheers

Dick

Hi Dick

Thanks for commenting. Appreciate the points you make & as someone with children of ages 3 to 14 know that we have to be careful. However, this is a closed network with a minimum age limit, which I trust Tony will enforce. So, I guess a photo of an instrument is better than nothing for our younger members.

For the more mature members (are there any mature trad muzos!?)I stick by my earlier points:

Facebook was called Face book for a reason & set the standard for other social networking sites. Yet, somehow many people still miss the point & either don't put a face to their name or put up a photo of their dog!

So, as this is a closed community with the purpose of enabling trad musicians to connect, share & network I think having a photo of oneself with your instrument is a great start...

Curious what others think...

Dick Glasgow said:

"I'm curious as to why so many people on social networks don't provide a photo of themselves."

Hey Gerry, the answer is simple, musicians aren't always that great to look at ...... e.g. Mugshot! ;-)

But seriously, I do agree that it'd be nice to see a few more faces here, instead of those boring grey head shots, even any sort of an image would be better than none. At least a photo of their favourite instrument would be better than nothing.

However, I suppose we really need to respect folks privacy on these sites, especially the younger members & as identity fraud becomes more & more common, perhaps it's not such a bad idea to be a little cautious.

Cheers

Dick

" .. or put up a photo of their dog!"

Yup, I resemble that remark! ;-)

However, unlike some folks, I try & keep my contacts on facebook to a comfortable & easy maneagable number.

I notice some folks have as many as 5,000 friends on facebook, so clearly they are just not interested in reading any of their posts on the Home page, otherwise they'd be on it day & night.

As for my avatar, I change mine quite often & as I have a number of interests other than music, I try & let my avatar reflect some of those.

However, as this site here is all about music, I think an avatar which shows the musician & his or her instrument is probably the ideal, cause that means you don't have to go poking around on each profile page to see what everyone plays.

For this reason too, I think for younger members, a photo of just their instrument is fine.

Cheers

Dick

I agree. I know that people are scared in revealing themselves in cyberspace but I think they need to make an exception as to what site they are affiliated with. I think if they cant provide a picture of them selves at least put something we all can see...like a picture of a flower or a cat.

I may add a photo in the near future. The reason I don't have one, truly, is that I tend to have both private and extroverted characteristics. So far, I've catered to my private self.  I don't suscribe to any other web-based network besides TradConnect, except for LinkedIN, which I do for primary career reasons.  Nearly everyone I've connected with on LinkedIN already knows me personally, therefore, they know what I look like ;).  If I add a photo here, then I may as well add one to LinkedIN too, and then everyone in the world will know what I look like, whether I like it or not!  I just haven't gotten there yet...

I finally added my photo yesterday :)!
Hey, are you talking about me & my dog (who is now sadly deceased)? Well, the image was cropped by the software here and I can't be bothered to change it. But it does represent where I'm coming from and aspects of trad music, I hold dear.

Alright, Gerry, after reading your post and the responses to it, I have posted two different photos of myself on TradConnect just in case anyone else on this web site is so desperate for a cheap thrill that they want to see just how plain, homely, and unhandsome I actually am.  I posted two photos because I play two different instruments and I wanted one picture of myself with each instrument.  The picture of myself playing the electric piano was taken a few years ago when the local Irish Sessions were being held at Cregeen's Pub here in North Big Pebble.  The other picture of myself with the bass fiddle was taken two years ago at a local dance hall which used to be out in the country northwest of here.  The owner of the dance hall had to sell it because he was losing too much money.  Unfortunately, not enough people were coming out there to dance on Friday evenings. 

Laurence

Hey Dick,

You mean that little avatar picture is NOT you????? Now I'm really sad and confused.

I've dropped out of Facebook and Linkedin for privacy reasons, and like others that have commented here, TC is the ONLY social network that I am involved with. I agree with you, especially when someone new joins either of my groups,....it's like the Phantom of the Opera: who OR what is behind the mask??? The point of younger members, identity fraud and being cautious is well taken. Thanks to Gerry, here is yet another interesting discussion for us to scratch our heads and ponder over. Cheers,

Danny

Well, my thoughts are just simple ones (like you'd expect I suppose!). If the site is about connecting then I reckon its only reasonable to show people what they can expect. When I can ever find a photo of myself with a whistle that does'nt look like a beaver chewing a stick, I'll swop it for the one I have on here. You may well be a long wait though!

On the serious side of things, I don't "do" any other social sites and will not entertain them. I also take the point about children and think that instrument pictures are possibly more appropriate for them. It is however a very sad reflection on the world that we live in that we even have to consider such things.

I would like to stir the pot a little deeper.  Not only do I not use a photo for my avatar, but I don't use my name as a handle.  I think it's a fun thing to do!  It's like going to a masquerade party.  It's not like I really expect to hide myself from anyone.  For heaven sake, you can watch a video of me, and you can see pictures of me on my friends pages.  When I become musician extraordinaire, then I will probably make the decision to put my name and face out there, after all free advertisement is great.  But for now, you gotta admit, "Do you really care who this Zeals person is anyway?"

Ok, let's say you are trying to make friends.  Well then just let the friendship develop, and if it eventually amounts to anything, then chances are you'll find out what my real name is, and a whole lot more.

-Zeal S.

Zeal S. Do I care who you are? Well how do I know when I have no idea who you are? I might have passed you in the street, only I'd never know it.

Personally, I think it's a little cowardly to hide behind anonymity. I tend to believe that if you've got things worth saying, you might as well own up to them; if not, don't say them. Luckily this site seems remarkably free from acrimony, but I can think of others where people use anonymity to stir up all kinds of trouble. I think that having your real face next to your comment is a useful regulator when it comes to commenting responsibly and considerately.

If you think that is a negative thing, here's a little anecdote: once upon a time, on a different forum, I made a somewhat critical comment about the lack of welcome at a certain session I had visited. I did go back, a couple of years later, and clearly my comments had been taken to heart, because when they identified me they actually made me much more welcome. Which is as it should be.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Tradconnect Reviews.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The title of your home page You could put your verification ID in a comment Or, in its own meta tag Or, as one of your keywords Your content is here. The verification ID will NOT be detected if you put it here. .slick-track { display: flex!important; justify-content: center; align-items: center;/* Safari */ display: -webkit-flex!important; -webkit-justify-content:center; -webkit-align-items: center; }