I was just reading about a member here, who was one time actually asked his religion, as if being Catholic, was some sort of qualification for being able to play Irish Music well! ... Duh!

Apart from that being utterly idiotic, the person asking the question clearly didn't know their history & how the Church at one time was very much against the music, because of course, as we all know ... it leads to Sin! :-)

Anyway, this nonsense got me thinking about wise words & music ... the words of George Carlin sprang to mind, so I thought this might be an opportunity to start gathering up our favourite Musical Quotes.

They can be about music in general, as well as about Irish Music of course & wise words from Irish Musicians are best of all.

So here goes, I hope you'll join in.

"The only good thing ever to come out of religion, was the music." - George Carlin

"Never sacrifice enjoyment for perfection" - Dan O'Connell

"Madam, you have between your legs an instrument capable of giving pleasure to thousands - and all you can do is scratch it." - Beecham Sir Thomas 1879 - 1961 (to a cellist)

Views: 690

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Music... it gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
~ Plato

“Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without.”

Confucius quotes (China's most famous teacher, philosopher, and political theorist, 551-479 BC)

“If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music.”

~ Gustav Mahler quotes (Austrian Composer and Conductor, 1860-1911)

Another great discussion here!

One of my favorite quotes from a true master of guitar...

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart". 
- Andres Segovia

Here is a nice quote that I brazenly and shamelessly adapted from George Bernard Shaw!!!

“The reasonable musician adapts himself to the tune; the unreasonable musician persists in trying to adapt the tune to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable musician."

~Connie Rae Crone,
Alleged and Somewhat of an Irish-American Fiddler

...and to give credit where credit is due...

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

~George Bernard Shaw,
Irish playwright

Okay, that made my brain hurt a little bit after a long day at work!

Murray: Thanks for posting your Benjamin Britten quote... it's a keeper! 

Here's one for the Beginners...

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best." - Henry Van Dyke.

Like that Quote of Gustav Mahlar's you put in -

“If a composer could say what he had to say in words

he would not bother trying to say it in music.”

I use to listen a lot, to all of his music, Another great quote of his was,

'' The symphony should be like the world,, It should have everything in it ''

jim,,, 

My Favourite Quote when practising my Fiddle is -- 

Ludwig van Beethoven -  '' Fiddle be Damed ''   - lol....

jim,,,

Paul,

This quote from Henry Van Dyke is very inspirational!  Thanks very much for posting it; it's one we can all keep in our back pockets - I am a beginner at fiddle, but all of us are learning and improving at whatever we do each day, no matter our level of accomplishment! Thanks again very much!

~Connie

Love it Jim!  Can you expand on the context or meaning? ~Connie

< Can you expand on the context or meaning >

I think I can  Connie, did you ever just pick you a fiddle say, and it just seemed 

to be able to play by its self.. But. when you need to practice, or have it in tune

say to record something etc, Nothing goes right. Tone awful, keep's going out of tune, no matter where you put you fingers it's a bum note...and sounds horrible.

That's when I think of Beethoven's Quote - ' Fiddle be Damed '

But in his case,, It was when he had composed his one and I think only Violin Concerto. A main musician out of the orchestra said, '' But Heir Beethoven, these notes cannot be played on a violin '' Beethoven's reply was '' --

'' Well then Fiddle Be Damed ''

lol - jim,,,

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Tradconnect Reviews.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The title of your home page You could put your verification ID in a comment Or, in its own meta tag Or, as one of your keywords Your content is here. The verification ID will NOT be detected if you put it here. .slick-track { display: flex!important; justify-content: center; align-items: center;/* Safari */ display: -webkit-flex!important; -webkit-justify-content:center; -webkit-align-items: center; }