I was just reading about a member here, who was one time actually asked his religion, as if being Catholic, was some sort of qualification for being able to play Irish Music well! ... Duh!

Apart from that being utterly idiotic, the person asking the question clearly didn't know their history & how the Church at one time was very much against the music, because of course, as we all know ... it leads to Sin! :-)

Anyway, this nonsense got me thinking about wise words & music ... the words of George Carlin sprang to mind, so I thought this might be an opportunity to start gathering up our favourite Musical Quotes.

They can be about music in general, as well as about Irish Music of course & wise words from Irish Musicians are best of all.

So here goes, I hope you'll join in.

"The only good thing ever to come out of religion, was the music." - George Carlin

"Never sacrifice enjoyment for perfection" - Dan O'Connell

"Madam, you have between your legs an instrument capable of giving pleasure to thousands - and all you can do is scratch it." - Beecham Sir Thomas 1879 - 1961 (to a cellist)

Views: 684

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"You can't choke good music out of your guitar."

author unknown (to me)

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best." - Henry Van Dyke.

Excellent Paul!

I especially like that, cause I've actually been a keen Bird Watcher for a lot longer than I've been trying to play music.

Cheers,

Dick

< my own poor Fiddling >

Dick -

I have played along with you, and your fiddling a certianly  ' Not ' poor.

it's excellent to be honest.

jim,,,

PS -

I liked that video,,, as for the other '  That's Show Business  '   - lol....

No problem Connie, I'm a beginner at the fiddle myself, so this quote challenges me to persevere. 

Brian - 

'' Hi Ho Silver Away ''  ...  Tell's you everything, doesn't it - lol 

jim,,,

Hi Brian,

Wow, a quote from a brilliant big-hearted Texan journalist! He's also quite the "Dead Head" (Grateful Dead fan), as I have heard! Can't listen to REM's "What's the Frequency Kenneth?" anymore without thinking of Mr. Dan Rather.  Funny how the mind travels...

~Connie

"Play the music, not the instrument."

- Unkown

I've been trying to track this one down for a while. There are few people who have ever given us such a wonderful supply of quotes as the The Duke of Wellington.

On of his best was a remark regarding the Battle Symphony that was written in his honour by no less a composer than Beethoven himself. Asked by the Russian Ambassador if it was anything like the battle of Vittoria itself, the reply was made......

"Good God no, if it had been, I should have run away myself"

Jim and Mike,

Here's another nice Beethoven musical quote especially just for you guys!

"I despise a world which does not feel that music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy.”

~Ludwing Van Beethoven

(German Composer the predominant musical figure in the transitional period between the Classical and Romantic era. 1770-1827)

found on Kevin Burke's website: "Music is a release from the tyranny of conscious thought"

Old tunes are great but its hard to get parts for them - Joe Burke

Hey Mary Margaret,

That one caught my eye too!  Loved Kevin Burke's recently updated website:

Kevin Burke ~ Come on in...

He pasted right there on the front page and made me smile :)!

Good one!

~Connie

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Tradconnect Reviews.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The title of your home page You could put your verification ID in a comment Or, in its own meta tag Or, as one of your keywords Your content is here. The verification ID will NOT be detected if you put it here. .slick-track { display: flex!important; justify-content: center; align-items: center;/* Safari */ display: -webkit-flex!important; -webkit-justify-content:center; -webkit-align-items: center; }