My latest wee hobby 'project' http://tradconnect.com/forum/topics/bodhr-n-tipper-brush-hot-rods

Led me to thinking about what you like to use and prefer, playing the bodhrán.

Aside from my new 'hot rods', which i like and prefer to the ones i have/have tried so far i have 3 tippers i use regularily. I am at work now, so i will have to provide pics and measurements later, but in the meantime it would be interesting to hear what you other members use and prefer.

Cheers!

Views: 581

Replies to This Discussion

Mostly using two, Ralph Siepman Jazz Rod, no longer making, and a Neil Lyons tipper.

I have gotten some very nice tippers from Christian Hedwitschak. He also has the foam grips for them which is nice if you like that. I have lately been enjoying homemade tippers (easy to make with rubber rings and heat shrink tubing) made from the bundled rods; like the skewer sticks used for shish kebobs (sp?). But the better quality can be found in a craft store. They are more like tiny dowels made from nicer wood; and much more consistent and less warping in them. They produce a very nice sound that is not really intense.

This may be anathema to say, but I don't use a tipper, brush, or stick.  I use my hands only.  I wear a thick stone ring on my left thumb for clicks and play the drum with just my fingertips.

Then, strictly speaking, you play oriental hand drum using a bodhrán :)

No harm in that, would be interesting to hear what that sounds like, it is 'kosher' to play the bodhrán with your hand, only i've never heard of or seen the tecnique you describe being used.

Mindy Johnson said:

This may be anathema to say, but I don't use a tipper, brush, or stick.  I use my hands only.  I wear a thick stone ring on my left thumb for clicks and play the drum with just my fingertips.

I have been playing middle eastern drum for years, so when I picked up a bodhran I got cleaner tones and was way more comfortable with just my hands than if I had used the tipper.  To my ear, it sounds exactly the same as with a tipper.  Plus, there's the added benefit of not losing the stick, or worse, having it fly out of control during a fast jig!

Lars 'Larry Mór' Mott said:

Then, strictly speaking, you play oriental hand drum using a bodhrán :)

No harm in that, would be interesting to hear what that sounds like, it is 'kosher' to play the bodhrán with your hand, only i've never heard of or seen the tecnique you describe being used.

Mindy Johnson said:

RSS

Groups

Music

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Tony Lawless.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The title of your home page You could put your verification ID in a comment Or, in its own meta tag Or, as one of your keywords Your content is here. The verification ID will NOT be detected if you put it here. .slick-track { display: flex!important; justify-content: center; align-items: center;/* Safari */ display: -webkit-flex!important; -webkit-justify-content:center; -webkit-align-items: center; }