Hohner has launched a new tremolo harmonica that is very cheap and comes in all keys. They called it Echo Celeste and can be bought for  $30. dollars Canadian including shipping and handling. It sounds nice and clear and is very easy to play using minimum air. It looks very good with its plastic comb and highly polished chrome covers. This is the positive findings I experienced playing this harmonica. Now comes the drawbacks: Since it is made in China, it is made to be cheap to manufacture. The covers are easy to dent as they are very soft. Although it is very easy to dismantle since it is held together by small bolts threaded in the lower reedplate, it is almost impossible to replace a broken down reed since they are so thin. They brake very easily and most harmonica repair facilities refuse to repair it. Given the price it is more practical to buy another one than to repair a faulty one. I also find that they don't last. They tend to develop sour notes and since the reeds are so thin, they can't be filed. They just break. I also found that at times you get some faulty ones shipped from the factories however when you mention to the dealer this fact, usually he will send you another one as they appear to be aware of these shortcomings. I just tought I'd convey this personal analysis of this new product to you.

Views: 419

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the review there Normand. I've been wwondering about which tremolo harmonica to pick up, if I ever do pick up one. Which one would you recommend? Anything Seydel perhaps? Stainless Steel reeds appeal to me. 

Hi Boyen, Nice to hear from you. Any musical adventures lately? Personally, I would recommend the "Hohner 53-6 Tremolo sextet because it comes with the following keys:CDFGABb. It is made of 6 harmonicas  mounted as a wheel. It is very convenient, very hardy and a very very hard and dense wood is used as the comb. I find it very comfortable to play and with minimum care it can last a long time. Most of the maintenance on it can be done at home. Now, my price list for this instrument is slightly outdated but I don't suspect that it is much higher than the price I read here. This unit cost$508.95.We have to bear in mind that it has all the keys in it. I don't know of any other company that builds such an instrument.Now each key for this harmonica can be bought separately for $84.95. The physical description of this instrument is:Model 53-6 Tremolo Sextet, 144 double holes, 288 reeds, wood comb, keys as mentioned earlier, length 10" and 3/4. The single key is called Model 53 and has 24 double holes and 48 reeds.This could be a spare side for the Tremolo Sextet. I actually play a Tremolo Quartet myself, this is an instrument that is not made  anymore. However it uses the same sides as the sextet except it has only four sides  wich are adapted to the music I play. These keys are ACDG. They are both manufactured by Hohner. As for Seydel, it isn't well known around here. However, it seems to be a high quality instrument. I never tried one yet so I can't comment on it.Hearing you playing the Seydel, I can tell that it has a nice clear sound and seems easy to blow  and draw. Best of the day to you.

Boyen said:

Thanks for the review there Normand. I've been wwondering about which tremolo harmonica to pick up, if I ever do pick up one. Which one would you recommend? Anything Seydel perhaps? Stainless Steel reeds appeal to me. 

That's an extensive review Normand, thanks a lot. I should post about my musical adventures because I did have a musical adventure very recently! I will do in a bit. 

80$ a piece is quite steep! Especially compared to diatonic harmonica's. The four sides make much more sense to me, ACDG are the only keys I use!  Food for thought.. well thanks! 

RSS

© 2020   Created by Tradconnect Reviews.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The title of your home page You could put your verification ID in a comment Or, in its own meta tag Or, as one of your keywords Your content is here. The verification ID will NOT be detected if you put it here. .slick-track { display: flex!important; justify-content: center; align-items: center;/* Safari */ display: -webkit-flex!important; -webkit-justify-content:center; -webkit-align-items: center; }