I regularly post arrangements of traditional tunes (some with songs) on my KelticDead_Music website. The idea is to find traditional "Celtic-Folk-Old Time" tunes/songs and arrange them for playing easily with "out of the box" (Richter-Scaled) diatonic harmonicas. I also try to send out computer-generated sound clips to help folk practice. I do it, because it's fun, and I learn a lot, and it helps me expand my abilities for when I play shows and gigs.

I just finished the tune "Drummond Castle" that I arranged in A minor (plays easily with the G Diatonic Harmonica). Has a haunting sound, and surprisingly easy to play, though you would think it would be more difficult with the "fiddle-like" arrangement.

I usually play it at around 100 beats a minute, and while I put endings on my tune selections, you can ignore that and play it over and over as much as you like.

If you like this idea, let me know, and I'll start posting more KelticDead arrangements.

Shaun - That KelticDead Guy.

Views: 300

Replies to This Discussion

Lovely post Shaun, it is indeed a haunting tune, mystique even.  I've played a very similar version, basically the one from the session, which has as an only difference that it takes that first A note and adds an ornament to the B. I attached it for those of us who can't read sheet music (tabs). These tabs are for a G harmonica (so you actually play it in A dorian..) but you could also play it on a C harmonica with Paddy Richter tuning if you want to play it in Aminor. 

Does it matter Ador vs Amin? One could argue that the ornaments around the F/F# are going to sound different, but this tune dodges that quite effectively.

Anyway, great inniative, sharing of tunes is core to ITM, I'd say. 

Attachments:

Thanks Boyen.

It's also an opportunity for me to learn more about the tunes and the histories that made the tunes. What better way to do that, than in this forum with harmonica-loving folk living in the countries from which these "Celtic-Folk" tunes originate. That's the fun of "song-catching."

Thank you for the encouragement, and I'll start posting more of these into our forum. If the group wants me to look into one, I'm fairly handy in writing these tunes out, and I'll try to write them out for the harmonica and put them back out to the group for discussion.

It's all fun.

Shaun, that KelticDead guy.

RSS

© 2019   Created by Tradconnect Reviews.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The title of your home page You could put your verification ID in a comment Or, in its own meta tag Or, as one of your keywords Your content is here. The verification ID will NOT be detected if you put it here. .slick-track { display: flex!important; justify-content: center; align-items: center;/* Safari */ display: -webkit-flex!important; -webkit-justify-content:center; -webkit-align-items: center; }