I think it'd be a good idea that everyone introduces him or herself so we know who we are dealing with!

Starting off; I'm Boyen 26 years old from the Netherlands. I've been playing harmonica for 4 years now with 2.5 year on Irish music. I play only seydel diatonics (paddy richter). I really enjoy the faster Irish tunes and my most favorite tune would be the Sailor and the Maid from JJ Miteau

Other then that, I'm playing together with a guitar player and I try to visit a session once a month. I would love to have more time for harmonica. 

So, what's your traditional harmonica history?

Views: 205

Replies to This Discussion

Greetings! I have just joined, My name is Iain Buik, i'm from Dundee, in Scotland and have been playing the Harmonica for over 30 years. I started of in Scots music but drifted away from it as the more comercial "skitch" it seemed to become and became a caracature of tradition. I want to rekindle and relearn proper tradition music., I play mainly Chromatic Harmonica   chomatica 260 in G but my current no 1 instrument is the Horner Toots Mellowtone in C, also use Proharps as well

Hello. My name is Patrick O. Young (alias: KelticDead). I'm from the Dallas/Fort Worth area in the State of Texas in the United States. I have been playing diatonic harmonicas since 2001 with music that is in the traditions of Celtic cultures found throughout the world (Ireland, Scotland, Wales, England, Americana, etc.). My passion is to arrange and play these tunes with the Richter Scaled diatonics, and I present the sheetmusic arrangements and sounds from my websites linked in at http://kelticdead.webs.com . My new favorite harmonicas is Seydel Steel, and I find that even with the normal slight 442 tuned reeds, they blend well with other folk instruments, and of course, they are much easier to play than other brass-reed types. I'm pretty handy with Hohner Big Rivers, and Proharps as well.

I'm Hilvert, 49 years old and a Dutch National, but I have lived in the UK since Christmas 2002 with my Lovely Wife Karen. As a kid I used to play tremolo harmonica, I have played keyboards for many years (but quite badly...) but because of the Lack of Space in our house, I can't put up my studio anywhere, so 3 years ago I decided to start playing harmonica again after nearly 30 years, and I am Loving that. Through a Friend of mine who sadly passed away a few months ago, I was introduced to traditional music; Irish and Celtic music, and the Magic has touched me, I Love this type of music. I play a Tremolo Chromatic harmonica, and I also try to find my way around on a 48-chord harmonica. I have been to a number os Irish sessions, but the harmonica is not quite prominent enough there. But I still Love traditional music.

I have started my own Harmonica-Club, and I'm still looking for players who want to play traditional music on Harmonica with me. Have a look on my website: http://coventry-harmonica.co.uk

where You will find more about me.

"Best of the day to you, my friends", I'm Norm Chouinard, commonly called " HarmonicaNorm" by the retirement home residents I play for on a regular basis. I'm 66 years old and I have been playing Harmonica since I was 15. This makes it 51 years of playing. I'm an ex sailor. Started sailing in 1966 and did a full career in the navy retiring in 1991 with a full pension indexed to the cost of living annually.I sailed mostly in Europe and took a lot of training in England as I was a "Submariner". I had the pleasure of going to Ireland several times and played in local pubs with the Irish musicians that are a fixture in these pubs. This was a good learning experience and always a pleasure. Honest, I never met an "Irishman " or "Irish lass" I didn't like. I would call this my apprentiship in Irish music. When I first started, I played "French Canadian" folklore music and this is quite similar to "Irish music" as I was to find  out later on. This was  1961.  In 1966  I joined the Navy and started going to Europe. Of course England was a foreign place. I had never been  there before. On the ship I was on,the "St Laurent" now a coral reef  in Canada's territorial water ,there was also some crew members that played a little guitar and accordion. So to spend time away when we were in transit, we used to get together in the helicopter hangar and play. The ship wasn't carrying a helicopter anymore so this made this place an ideal room to practice together. When we got alongside and when the gangway was open thus allowing us to go ashore, we would go to the closest pub to the ship and ask the pub owner if we could play there. Of course he would agree. This was good for his business which was mostly longshoremen and stevadores, in these days. Quite a few times we would finish at the end of the night with tableful of beers and the owner would come and join us after closing and have a beer with us allowing us to finish all this beer. Of course he would ask us to come again the next day and we would oblige. This is how we would get to know people and we did meet some fascinating people, believe me. Of course, all this happened until I joined  submarine. No harmonica playing on submarine as sound carries. However I still played in the small pubs that were close to the vessel whenever we would get alongside somewhere, be it in Sweden, Norway, Germany, Portugal, Belgium....A good learning as I played with quite a few local musicians.Later, I was able to  play a whole performance alone. This made for a lot of beer to drink on my own at the end of the night  loll.Beer is the only thing I ever accepted as I was not registered as a musician in these countries.Being an Irish descent from "Me Mother's side" I lived in Montreal and one of our neighbours in the apartment complex where I lived was pure Irish. In these days, I didn't speak English and he didn't speak French. He became a good friend and I learned so much from him. He was telling me: "I'll make an Irishman out of you some days, you GD Frenchman. My mom had told him we were Irish descent.Besides learning the music, he told me a lot about the Irish history. This is why I like everything Irish. He used to call home and ask my mom" Cecile, might you send the lad over so he can get me medication"? This is when he had a "gout " attack and he would send me at the Liquor store to get him a 40 oz. of Jack Daniel. This was like trying to put out a fire by pouring gasoline on it. He had an important job in the port of Montreal, so he didn't have anybody to answer to. Apparently he wasn't easy to get along with on the job, so nobody ever questioned him when he "went on a Sabbatical" or when he was indisposed". I never had to work for him and you couldn't find a better neighbour. This is why our friendship lasted. He was like a second father to me. And a wonderful teacher. He was influential in my career choice in life. He introduced me to ships and helped me  develop  an interest in anything "Marine". He also helped me with getting to know Irish music. He didn't play any instrument but could he ever sing and get emotional when he sang about "Dear Ireland". Voila, here's my piece. It will be a pleasure to read your story.

Amazing story Normand! I can only image the many adventures you've had, I hope to go down that road myself some day.

Somedays you will, somedays, you will, me son, just keep at it....lolll

Boyen said:

Amazing story Normand! I can only image the many adventures you've had, I hope to go down that road myself some day.

RSS

© 2019   Created by Tradconnect Reviews.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The title of your home page You could put your verification ID in a comment Or, in its own meta tag Or, as one of your keywords Your content is here. The verification ID will NOT be detected if you put it here. .slick-track { display: flex!important; justify-content: center; align-items: center;/* Safari */ display: -webkit-flex!important; -webkit-justify-content:center; -webkit-align-items: center; }