Traditional Irish Music
Consairtín 2019, the sixth national concertina convention, will take place in Ennis, Co Clare from 25 to 28 April.
Consairtín is a celebration of the concertina in traditional Irish music. The past few years has witnessed an exponential rise in the popularity of the instrument among traditional players in Ireland and the establishment of a national convention now provides a platform for enthusiasts of all ages to gather in an environment that encourages learning, discussion, performance and fun.
Situated in the heart of Co Clare, where concertina playing has been an integral part of traditional music life for centuries, and where it is currently thriving, Ennis is an ideal venue for such a festival and the event salutes the instrument’s special place in the local musical landscape. Some of the most highly-regarded practitioners and teachers from throughout Ireland and further afield will gather to share their expertise and showcase their musical virtuosity.
Performers and teachers already confirmed for the convention include Aogán Lynch, Michelle O’Brien & Gavin Ralston; Florence Fahy & Gary Ó Briain; the Dublin Lasses; Francis Cunningham, Eimear Coughlan & Carl Hession; Tim Collins & the Performing Landscapes Collective; Michelle Mulcahy, Jacqueline McCarthy, Cillian King, Caitlín Nic Gabhann, Pádraig Rynne, Mícheál Ó Raghallaigh, Mary MacNamara, Edel Fox, Lorraine O’Brien, Clara Mannion.
The principal events of the weekend will include:
• classes for players of all ages and abilities with experienced tutors
• instrument maintenance tutorials with Sean Ó Fearghail that will give students a hands-on opportunity to learn basic maintenance skills
• EXPO, featuring leading concertina makers; concertina merchandise shop, selling CDs, books, jewellery, ornaments, stationery, T-shirts, hoodies and much more.
• specialist workshops for advanced players with Aogán Lynch, Michelle Mulcahy, Caitlín Nic Gabhann and Cillian King.
• official opening by Jacqueline McCarthy and Sonny Murray Memorial Lecture by Colin and Rosalie Dipper and Seán Ó Fearghail.
• Illustrated talk by renowned South African concertina player Zak van der Vyver.
• nightly Club Consairtín sessions hosted by leading players
• three concerts:
o Aogán Lynch, Michelle O’Brien & Gavin Ralston; Florence Fahy & Gary Ó Briain
o The Dublin Lasses; Francis Cunningham, Eimear Coughlan & Carl Hession
o Tim Collins with the Performing Landscapes Collective; Cuisle, finalists in Siansa Gael-Linn 2019
• Concertina by Candlelight: late-night recitals on Friday and Saturday, hosted by Michelle Mulcahy and Jacqueline McCarthy and featuring tutors and visitors.
• a showcase recital by younger performers featuring concertina players from throughout Ireland. The recital will be followed by an open session for teenage players of all instruments
• sessions, tunes and stories in memory of Dympna O’Sullivan and Tom Carey.
• spoken Irish class for beginners
www.consairtin.ie; Facebook: Consairtin; Twitter: @consairtin_aine; 353 (0)86 2612127.