Hi there :-)   Just wondering if anyone has used amplifier for sessions on keyboards?  I am seriously considering trying it but would like some advice on what type to use.  Most of the time the keyboard is loud enough, and I am always conscious of sound levels when backing - not the main event! (especially if not too sure where the key changes are!) But there are times when I cannot hear myself - even an amp for ME to hear would be good.  Dont want to waste my limited resources on something that wont do!

Views: 228

Replies to This Discussion

I have not used an amplifier at sessions myself, but  a friend of mine has. I should explain, however. His piano does not have a built in power amplifier or speakers. Without the external amplifier he would be voiceless. My piano does have a built in "power" amplifier and speakers, but in all but the smallest sessions it is not loud enough. I have resisted carrying an amplifier as an electronic piano player is already (as you know) burdened with carrying the piano, a stand, extension cords and perhaps a throne or chair. I have to use a two wheel truck to haul everything. An amplifier is obviously yet something else to carry. 

Now, our sessions here in the states are held in rooms far bigger than anything I have seen in videos of sessions in Ireland. No one would lift an eyebrow at an amplifier for a keyboard. A guitar player with an amplifier would probably get lynched. 

Yes I agree about the amount of stuff!  I usually dont bother with a stand - just use a corner of a table (5 octave keyboard is small)  and I use a shopping bag for cables, power and foot pedal.  Think I might research a small guitar practice amp.  Will let you know how I get on with it!

I have been playing piano more or less irregularly at the local Irish Sessions since 1995.  I prefer to use a Roland Digital Piano with built-in speakers because I do not need to bring my Peavey KB-100 Amp with me to the session.  Besides the Digital Piano, I bring a stand for it and a bag with the necessary chords.  Also, my Digital Piano (which I refer to jokingly as a genuine imitation piano) does make a halfway decent imitation of a real piano sound.

Laurence

RSS

© 2021   Created by Tradconnect Reviews.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The title of your home page You could put your verification ID in a comment Or, in its own meta tag Or, as one of your keywords Your content is here. The verification ID will NOT be detected if you put it here. .slick-track { display: flex!important; justify-content: center; align-items: center;/* Safari */ display: -webkit-flex!important; -webkit-justify-content:center; -webkit-align-items: center; }