In the interests of popularising the work of Carolan, I've had an idea. New year seemed like a great opportunity to launch this as an initiative for all the members of the Carolan group that we now have on the site. There are now 49 of us!!

What I would like for us all to do is to undertake to learn just 1 "new" tune from the works attributed to Carolan during the course of the year. No pressure!! - we all have a full year to get around to it! The only rule is that it MUST be a tune that you did not already know how to play at the start of this year (2013). I have 110% confidence that all of our members are completely trustworthy on not "cheating"!!!!!!!!

I don't propose running this as a competition in any way. Its not about musical proficiency, its about doing something positive to get more people playing more Carolan tunes than they do already.

All I would like from members is to update this page with the details of which tune they are learning and their progress with it. If anyone wants to add links to their rendition of these tunes that would be grand, but its NOT mandatory. The idea is to get members having fun learning "new" Carolan tunes, not to put pressure on anyone.

Does anyone support this idea? - I would like your views on this. It's not easy for me to judge what members think about things like this so, your comments would be appreciated. You are under no obligation to agree with me!

Happy new year to all of you!

Mike

Views: 171

Replies to This Discussion

Mike - I'd be up for this - I know I've not been much of a participant in the group over the last year.  I'm learning a slide from my teacher now (he doesn't know the name of it - of course!) so I'll get some help from him on a Carolan tune once the current tune is comfortable for me.  YES - a new one!!!!

Hiya,

It's great to hear from you again, and many thanks for the positive response to this idea of mine. I wish you good luck with the slide. As I said above, no pressure, thats not the idea, but please let us all know your tune selection when you make the decision.

Cheers,

Mike

Mary Margaret said:

Mike - I'd be up for this - I know I've not been much of a participant in the group over the last year.  I'm learning a slide from my teacher now (he doesn't know the name of it - of course!) so I'll get some help from him on a Carolan tune once the current tune is comfortable for me.  YES - a new one!!!!

Sounds OK to me...I"ll give it a try :-)

cheers, Kees

Hiya Kees,

Thats grand. I will (of course) be doing it myself as well!! - but I have no idea which tune to pick at this stage. I went somewhat into overdrive learning Carolan tunes last year but I can't use any of them now for this. It would mean breaking my own rules!

Cheers,

Mike

Kees Knegt said:

Sounds OK to me...I"ll give it a try :-)

cheers, Kees

I think I'll go for "Carolans Welcome" ....great little tune :-)

cheers Kees

Well, after a bit of searching around, I've found the tune. Kean O'Hara (3rd setting). It's actually a nice straightforward one that I reckon has more than a passing resemblence to Margarets Waltz !!

Because I've set this challenge, I am actually going to break my own rules and post my version on here when I'm done. I don't do that usually.

Update for anyone following this - I have the tune almost sorted now but I've learned it from a couple of ukelele players on utube and the dots from here :-

http://www.oldmusicproject.com/AAOCC/Gif132-151/132-KeanOHara-3rdSe...

I believe however that these dots are wrong! - 12th bar should read g bd ef# and not g bd eg. Interestingly my books seen to be giving me the same "incorrect" dots as the website. You are all welcome to check this, you don't have to take my word for it !

Mike "Ormepipes" Orme said:

Well, after a bit of searching around, I've found the tune. Kean O'Hara (3rd setting). It's actually a nice straightforward one that I reckon has more than a passing resemblence to Margarets Waltz !!

Because I've set this challenge, I am actually going to break my own rules and post my version on here when I'm done. I don't do that usually.

Further update - I have a second tune to go with the first one !!!

Doing a bit mor digging around I've found that Kean O'Hara (1st setting) goes with the third setting. Therefore I think I feel a new set coming on. I've had to transpose the 1st setting into D (or something like "D" at any rate!!) but I'm off the blocks with this one as well now. Nice harp version on utube as well. So for anyone following these, these are the original dots for this 2nd tune..........

http://www.oldmusicproject.com/AAOCC/Gif111-131/130-KeanOHara-1stSe...

This could well mean 2 new Carolan tunes for me before the end of January! - I'll keep you posted.

Update for anyone following this - I have the tune almost sorted now but I've learned it from a couple of ukelele players on utube and the dots from here :-

http://www.oldmusicproject.com/AAOCC/Gif132-151/132-KeanOHara-3rdSe...

I believe however that these dots are wrong! - 12th bar should read g bd ef# and not g bd eg. Interestingly my books seen to be giving me the same "incorrect" dots as the website. You are all welcome to check this, you don't have to take my word for it !

I haven't picked any tunes yet - my teacher is currently into teaching me some slides - but after a couple more of them - I will be checking out Carolan again!

Hiya Mary Margaret,

Sorry for my late response - There is no rush! you have a whole year (well, 11 1/2 months!). Your picking up of the gauntlet is enough for me! - but keep us posted.

Cheers,

Mike

Mary Margaret said:

I haven't picked any tunes yet - my teacher is currently into teaching me some slides - but after a couple more of them - I will be checking out Carolan again!

Well, here we go then. I've done my bit! Here are 2 "new to me" Carolan tunes learned over the past few days. I am only posting them here to prove that I'm taking my own medicine.

http://youtu.be/CP9JXjxfRr4

Mike - those were played quite wonderfully!  I liked them very much.  Thanks for putting them up!

Well, here we go then. I've done my bit! Here are 2 "new to me" Carolan tunes learned over the past few days. I am only posting them here to prove that I'm taking my own medicine.

http://youtu.be/CP9JXjxfRr4

RSS

© 2020   Created by Tradconnect Reviews.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The title of your home page You could put your verification ID in a comment Or, in its own meta tag Or, as one of your keywords Your content is here. The verification ID will NOT be detected if you put it here. .slick-track { display: flex!important; justify-content: center; align-items: center;/* Safari */ display: -webkit-flex!important; -webkit-justify-content:center; -webkit-align-items: center; }