Does anybody own and play an original style non-tunable style Kerry Optima in lw D? What is your opinion of the whistle on issues such as tonal quality, air requirement, back pressure, reach on tone holes, ease of play, etc?

Cheers,
Cayden

Views: 423

Replies to This Discussion

I owned the non-tunable Optima shown shown on Piper's Grip http://pipersgrip.50webs.com/Optima.html and it was my first whistle a year ago. Within three months I traded up to a Goldie Low D which I haven't regretted but I still wish I had the Optima which I think is an excellent low whistle as well as being a good first instrument. The review is, I think, accurate. Tonally it is very rich though it doesn't compare with an Overton/Goldie but for the price it is an amazing instrument. Air requirement surprised me, as at 57 and unfit, I never thought I'd be able to play a low D and not without prior experience on a high whistle. Back pressure was moderate. Ease of play? What can I say? I picked it up and started to play it and it didn't suffer the clogging problems of an all-metal instrument. As the review says the low notes are a little sensitive but not excessively so. Reach I found easy though my hands aren't small. Go for it i would say. I love my Goldies but if I had the spare cash and a non-tunable Optima cropped up I think I would buy it back.

I would just add this. Marc Duff told me that while he owned all tunable Goldies, he liked the sound of a non-tunable Goldie - no disturbances in the tube due to the joint I guess. And non-tunables have low maintenance issues so there are advantages to them.

RSS

Groups

© 2020   Created by Tradconnect Reviews.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The title of your home page You could put your verification ID in a comment Or, in its own meta tag Or, as one of your keywords Your content is here. The verification ID will NOT be detected if you put it here. .slick-track { display: flex!important; justify-content: center; align-items: center;/* Safari */ display: -webkit-flex!important; -webkit-justify-content:center; -webkit-align-items: center; }