Always wondered what a Goldie low D is like?

Or a Freeman tweaked high D?

Post your own findings and links to "professional" reviews here and discuss with others!

Views: 7274

Replies to This Discussion

From the man himself, i bought one F, one A and a brass/blackwood D from him : ) 

Mike Wallbridge said:

The Low D sounds wonderful, very Overton-like. Where did you get all this information?

Just received my new (second hand) Burke GLA Low G

Still at work so i haven't had time to try it out yet, will try to add a short review after i have given it a workout. It's well made anyway and makes my "alphabet" complete ;)

(F, G, A, B, Bb, C, D, Eb, E)

Ok, i have now had time to play the whistle for a while.

It's well in line with other Burke's as i understand it, in that it has a very pure tone. Very little chiff and hardly any breathyness - just a silky 'full' tone. Back pressure is less than the Löfgren's, but it isn't very air consuming/free blowing either. For better or worse (or just different) it lacks the 'cosmic drainpipe' signature sound of Overton/Goldie (and Löfgren for that matter)

All in all i am very pleased with it, it's a wekcome addition in the ol' toolbox : )

Lars 'Larry Mór' Mott said:

Still at work so i haven't had time to try it out yet, will try to add a short review after i have given it a workout. It's well made anyway and makes my "alphabet" complete ;)

Hiya Lars,

So, your loving your Burke - I thought you might! As you already know, I'm delighted with my brass "session" D and am actually thinking of ordering a narrow bore brass D from him as well. They represent a fairly hefty cash outlay for a whistle, I think you would call them a "considered purchase" but they are special and nothing sounds quite like them, they have an excellent rounded sound. I actually think that you only hear them at their very best when you hear someone else playing them though they certainly sound good enough when you are the guy doing the blowing as well !!

Ok, i have now had time to play the whistle for a while.

It's well in line with other Burke's as i understand it, in that it has a very pure tone. Very little chiff and hardly any breathyness - just a silky 'full' tone. Back pressure is less than the Löfgren's, but it isn't very air consuming/free blowing either. For better or worse (or just different) it lacks the 'cosmic drainpipe' signature sound of Overton/Goldie (and Löfgren for that matter)

All in all i am very pleased with it, it's a wekcome addition in the ol' toolbox : )

Hi all

I recently bought my second Low D whistle, the all new Kerry Optima, and apart from getting used to the pipers grip, I have to say that I absolutely LOVE it. Everything Phil Hardy said about it, it's just TRUE...Like for instance that playing the Optima is like playing a Bb, for its air-demand that is. TRUE. That it sounds like the high end whistles. TRUE. That it's light. TRUE....My other Low D is a Shaw, and because of it's slim design, it's really easy to hold, and you can play it with your fingertips, instead of the pads of your fingers. I love the windy sound of it, but I just hate playing it for its air demand. Takes the wind out of me. Every time I play it, after ten minutes I have to sit down to give my blood the chance to return to my head :-) Anyway, in my humble opinion, the Kerry Optima is a very good choice indeed, although the purist might counter me by saying that you should grow big lungs to play a big whistle :-)

anyway, choose as you like, but if I had to choose again, I'd choose the Optima

cheers, Kees, Netherlands

Thanks for the review and glad you're happy with it!

Only tried a Shaw low D once, i could never live with its total lack of back pressure, however nice it is otherwise.. 

I have a Löfgren low D in the mail a.t.m. due tomorrow so i'm pretty excited too :)

Today's leather couch centerfold model - Löfgren Low D

Dying to go home and try it! (at work now) If the other whistles from Mr Löfgren is anything to go by it will be awesome. : )

How can I contact Mr Löfgren?

Sorry Mike, thought i did reply to this already!

lofgrenwhistles at gmail dot com

Cheers!

Thanks Lars. So what's the Lofgren Low D like? It does sound remarkably like a Goldie but what are air requirements like and the back pressure? I'm wondering how easy it is to play and whether the low notes are all solid? Indeed I wonder how it compares with a Goldie/Overton to play if you've experience of either.

I recently met with Jerry Freeman who allowed me to hand select several of his whistles. I took a Blackbird set in Eb,D, and C, Bluebirds in Eb and D, and Freeman Tweaked Gens in Bb, Low G and a high F. Jerry also repaired my original Feadog D that I bought in Ireland several years ago to get me started on whistle. Jerry did not charge me for repair of my Feadog which I most appreciated as I wanted to save the whistle for sentimental reasons. All of Jerry's whistles are great, but I founf his high F Generation in F to be particularly nice. This little brass Gen has a very sweet birdlike tone, is well balanced throughout the range of both octaves which transition with a distinctive break without any tricky breath control. The whistle is very responsive allowing for great expressive flexibility. Air requirements are low allowing for lengthy phrasing between recharging the lungs. As well, there seems to be moderate backpressure and very little push required to reach the high notes of the upper octave without a large shift in volume and no harsh shrillness. I was very impressed with this whistle and consider it a real winner that I find I have a hard time putting down once I start playing it. Do yourself a favor and order a Freeman Tweaked Generation Brass High F, you won't regret it, Tell Jerry Cayden recommnded it to you.

Cheers,
Cayden

Must be a gas meeting up with a 'celebrity' in the whistling community up close and personal! 

Did you try the Mellow Dog? I think that one's my favourite Freeman..

Nowadays i seem to prefer 'flat' whistles.. that is soprano C and downwards. I don't know if it's a age thing, a hearing thing or both, but i find it increasingly difficult to cope with the high notes of D and upwards.

Cayden said:

I recently met with Jerry Freeman who allowed me to hand select several of his whistles. I took a Blackbird set in Eb,D, and C, Bluebirds in Eb and D, and Freeman Tweaked Gens in Bb, Low G and a high F. Jerry also repaired my original Feadog D that I bought in Ireland several years ago to get me started on whistle. Jerry did not charge me for repair of my Feadog which I most appreciated as I wanted to save the whistle for sentimental reasons. All of Jerry's whistles are great, but I founf his high F Generation in F to be particularly nice. This little brass Gen has a very sweet birdlike tone, is well balanced throughout the range of both octaves which transition with a distinctive break without any tricky breath control. The whistle is very responsive allowing for great expressive flexibility. Air requirements are low allowing for lengthy phrasing between recharging the lungs. As well, there seems to be moderate backpressure and very little push required to reach the high notes of the upper octave without a large shift in volume and no harsh shrillness. I was very impressed with this whistle and consider it a real winner that I find I have a hard time putting down once I start playing it. Do yourself a favor and order a Freeman Tweaked Generation Brass High F, you won't regret it, Tell Jerry Cayden recommnded it to you.

Cheers,
Cayden

RSS

© 2020   Created by Tradconnect Reviews.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The title of your home page You could put your verification ID in a comment Or, in its own meta tag Or, as one of your keywords Your content is here. The verification ID will NOT be detected if you put it here. .slick-track { display: flex!important; justify-content: center; align-items: center;/* Safari */ display: -webkit-flex!important; -webkit-justify-content:center; -webkit-align-items: center; }