Always wondered what a Goldie low D is like?

Or a Freeman tweaked high D?

Post your own findings and links to "professional" reviews here and discuss with others!

Views: 7207

Replies to This Discussion

Bluebirds are slightly more quite, sweeter, and less chiffy, than the Mellowdogs.

Bluebirds have a standard sized tube and the Mellowdogs are wide bodies based on the

Walton Mellow D.

You won't go wrong with either, but if your are session oriented get the Mellowdog.

I really love both.

Recently I sent away for a Bluebird Eb, as well as a new Mellowdog head for my C Mellowdog tube.

Freeman Whistles are rediculously good for the price.

If you need a really quite whistle Mack Hoover makes great ones.

And Parks Whistles have tone rings that can adjust volume.

Big Whistle(UK) carries a 'Shush', but I don't know much about them.

Thanks for your help. My problem is that my main whistle is a Low D Goldie which uses a significant amount of air. For a high D, since I've no intentions of playing in a session, I would prefer a whistle that is on the quieter side (not shrill and piercing in the upper octave) BUT  that requires reasonable amounts of air and has a solid bell note. I just didn't get along with a Parks Whistle, I loved a Hoover than I tried but couldn't deal with the minimal breath requirements, not along side a Low D. I'm wondering whether the Bluebird has rather low air requirements and whether the Mellowdog is actually mellow and not too shrill in that higher octave.

I'd say that the Bluebird uses average air for a high D, about same as a Feadog or Gen.

The Mellowdog uses more air, are louder, and not as sweet on the upper end(I wouldn't say shrill). If I understand correctly, a whistle that uses more air is generally louder.

If I may ask, what about the Parks didn't you like?

I found the Parks whistle fine with the ring open but when closing in even a little the tone was very rough.

By lucky chance i found this Löfgren Low A-whistle the other day. A lovely instrument, both musically (can be really leaned into and sounds lovely) and craftsmanship is second to none. All this at a "bargain" price!

SOUND SAMPLE

Wow! The Lofgren sounds nice. How would you compare it for playing with say a Goldie/Overton if you have one. It sounds like a more breathy version of a Goldie, maybe closer to a Chieftain. I don't know. Do you have a link to the maker where they can be bought?

Hi!

I have played a couple of Overtons and a couple of Goldies but alas only low D's, and they sound different than the higher pitched low whistles imo..

If i got him right, he doesn't make low whistles a.t.m. He had this and a couple of others for sale now.

More intriguing stuff from Mr Löfgren!

Soprano ("high") D whistles, brass with african blackwood mouthpiece.

Closeup, on top fipple plug from olive wood, center all blackwood.

I'd say the Bluebird is the more quiet, and it can't take being pushed very hard. It's a very, very nice whistle nonetheless and miked up it would sound at least as good as the mellowdog imo.

Mike Wallbridge said:

Which is the quieter, the Bluebird or the Mellowdog?

Thanks for that. Jerry informs me that his quietest tweak is the Blackbird, even quieter than the Bluebird.

UPDATE: Here's sound samples from various Löfgren whistles:

Soprano "high" D

Low D

Low F

Low G

Low A

Lars 'Larry Mór' Mott said:

More intriguing stuff from Mr Löfgren!

Soprano ("high") D whistles, brass with african blackwood mouthpiece.

Closeup, on top fipple plug from olive wood, center all blackwood.

The Low D sounds wonderful, very Overton-like. Where did you get all this information?

RSS

© 2020   Created by Tradconnect Reviews.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The title of your home page You could put your verification ID in a comment Or, in its own meta tag Or, as one of your keywords Your content is here. The verification ID will NOT be detected if you put it here. .slick-track { display: flex!important; justify-content: center; align-items: center;/* Safari */ display: -webkit-flex!important; -webkit-justify-content:center; -webkit-align-items: center; }