Traditional Irish Music
Playlist. Kidnappers Ceilidh, no. 457
Radio Kidnappers (NZ) 104.7MHz FM.
Broadcast: 18/02/2018 0004-0100 NZDT
Tune in at midnight Saturday, NZ time. Or click here for
STREAMING on http://pebbles.wizzhosting.co.nz/rk
Specialising in tradition-based instrumental music.
As of this issue we include index numbers of tunes where available. Ng numbers refer to Alan Ng's www.irishtune.info database; Session numbers refer to https://thesession.org/tunes ; MyStrathspey numbers refer to http://my.strathspey.org/dd/tune/ ; Snyder numbers refer to http://www.cbfiddle.com/rx/tune/ site. BBS numbers refer to the popular session collection by Chris O'Connor & Suzette Watkins "Begged, borrowed and stolen."
Artist: Title (Duration) (Composer/Lyricist) "Album title" Record Label CatNo, Date. (Medium) [Country] (E-Address) [Comment]
1. Naomh Pádraig Céilí Band: Battle of Geashill (3.22) (John Brady) "Three in a row All Ireland Champions" Claddagh NPCBCD001, 2013. (CD) [IE] (http://www.crl.ie)
2. Tommy Guihen: The view across the valley / Father Newman's reel (2.25) (John Brady; John Brady) "The torn jacket" Cló Iar-Chonnaught CICD 204, 2017. (CD) [IE] (http://www.cic.ie) [Ng 213, Session #6321; Ng 965, Session #1246]
3. Eilís Crean: Dawn on the strand / Eddie Kelly's jig no. 1 / Pull the knife and stick it again (4.47) (Eddie Kelly; Eddie Kelly; Traditional) "Searbh siúcra = Bittersweet" Éilís Crean 191924031604, 2017. (CD) [US] (http://www.theirishgift.com) [-; -; Ng 2870, Session #398]
4. Stephen Baldwin: The polka mazurka (1.00) (Traditional) "Here's one you'll like, I think" Musical Traditions MTDL364, 2015. (CD) [UK] (http://www.mtrecords.co.uk)
5. Johnny Handle: Johnny Armstrong / Harvest home (2.08) (Traditional; Traditional) "Northlands two" Carrsgate Music CMC1985, 1985. (Cassette) [EN] [Child #169; BBS #73]
6. Bill MacDonald & The Keltic Fiddlers Orchestra: Bill MacDonald's medley: Father John MacMillan of Barra / The McNeils of Ugadale (3.15) (Norman MacDonald; PM John Mackenzie) "A bunch of thyme" WEA Records 8573877594, 2000. (Cassette) [NZ] [Session #9659; Session #6072]
7. Brendan Mulholland, Conor Lamb & Deirdre Galway: The three sisters: The golden eagle / Around the room and mind the dresser / The three sisters (4.08) (Traditional; Charlie Lennon; Barry Kerr) "Music in the glen" Lamb, Mulholland, Galway BCD01, 2018. (CD) [ND] (http://www.musicitg.com) [Ng 744, Session #974; Ng 4561, Session #6880; -]
8. Jon Shain: Fuzzy Wuzzy rag (3.28) (Al Morton) "Getting' Handy with the blues" Flyin' Records FR012, 2018. (CD) [US] (http://www.JonShain.com)
9. Lester Flatt and the Nashville Grass: Foggy Mountain Special (2.01) (Gladys Stacey Flatt & Anne Scruggs) "The essential Lester Flatt and the Nashville Grass" CMH Records CMH9002, 2003. (CD) [US] (http://www.cmhrecords.com)
10. Martin Byrnes & Tony Howley: The Galway rambler / The London lasses (2.11) (Traditional; Traditional) "It was mighty: the early days of Irish music in London (disc 1) (The voice of the people)" Topic TSCD679T, 2015. (CD) [UK] (http://www.topicrecords.co.uk) [Ng 696, Session #634; Ng 7118, Session #2273; Ng 696, Session #634; Ng 7118, Session #2273]
11. Poor Man's Gambit: Undetermined jigs: Green fields of Woodford / The white petticoat / Hole in the hedge (3.43) (Traditional; Traditional; Traditional) "Kind Providence" Poor Man's Gambit 888295499705, 2016. (CD) [US] (http://www.poormansgambit.com) [Ng 2918, Session #4070; Ng 2067; -]
12. Joe Whelan & Liam Farrell: The humours of Tullycrine / Mickie Gallagher's hornpipe (3.51) (Traditional; Traditional) "It was great altogether: the continuing tradition of Irish music in London (disc 1) (The voice of the people)" Topic TSCD680T, 2015. (CD) [UK] (http://www.topicrecords.co.uk) [Ng 184, Session #980; TUNEdb #7203]
13. Bob Forbes & Fife Strathspey and Reel Society: Mackenzie Hay / The flowers of Edinburgh (2.01) (James Scott Skinner; James Oswald) "The fiddle sounds of Fife: a selection of traditional Scottish music played by the Fife Strathspey and Reel Society" Kettle Records KOP5, 1980. (LP) [SC] [Session #12541; Ng 642]
14. Canterbury Bush Orchestra: Nor'west arches: The knotted cord / Matt Molloy's reel / The knotted cord (3.37) (Traditional; Traditional) "Clear the board: music for colonial dancing" Kiwi SLC-182, 1985. (LP) [NZ] (http://www.kiwipacific.com) [Ng 1064, Session #921; Ng 4489, Session #2197]
15. Alec Ross Dance Band: Doctor Ross's welcome / John D Burgess (2.25) (Dugald C MacLeod; George S Cockburn) "Let's have a Scottish ceilidh" House of Scotland HOS005, 1989. (Cassette) [SC] [MyStrathspey #2129; MyStrathspey #5262]
Radio Kidnappers extends thanks to the companies and individuals who have provided recordings for review/play on Folk on Sunday and Kidnappers Ceilidh. Feedback is welcome, especially if we get the song attributions wrong.
For more on Radio Kidnappers visit us at http://www.radiokidnappers.org.nz/prog_fos.php
Mitch and Robyn Park(Folk on Sunday and Kidnappers Ceilidh, Radio Kidnappers 1431AM & 104.7FM)
1214 Louie Street
Hastings, NEW ZEALAND 4122. +64-6-8785395
Kidnappers Ceilidh STREAMING live Sundays at 0004 NZ time
Folk on Sunday STREAMING live Sundays at 1504 NZ time via http://www.radiokidnappers.org.nz/internet_audio.php
Add a Comment